Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the attraction?

Options
  • 25-09-2009 10:44pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

I've always wanted to try archery and now I've gone and done it. I'm nearly finished the beginners course in Summerhill - I'm out to 30m now!

So far it just hasn't "floated my boat" so to speak. I know I'm using a club bow and dodgy unmatched arrows, but I still can't get a buzz from it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it on the night and enjoy the little competition, and the people are great, but I just can't see the attraction. I'd put it in the same league as target shooting (rifle or air rifle) - not quite boring but monotonous. I do a fair bit of shooting myself - shotgun at clays and I love it. I thought I might get the same kick from the archery, but no, it just isn't happening at the moment.

So, my question is, what do you get from it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

I do it for the chicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The drinking afterwards...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

They seem like two good enough reasons to keep at it:)
    I knew it had nothing to do with firing arrows down a field!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I couldn't afford golf clubs...................

Think of all the great wits you'll meet..............:o

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

two dodgey knees so couldn't do a running sport and after that got so bloody hooked couldn't stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

So, my question is, what do you get from it?

That feeling, once in a while, when you see the arrow speeding on its way and you know...you already know...that its going where you told it to.

Then you get to just watch it. There's no nerves. There's no uncertainty. You know exactly where its going, and you just watch it go there...almost as though its in slow motion.

Fantastic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

bonkey wrote: »
    That feeling, once in a while, when you see the arrow speeding on its way and you know...you already know...that its going where you told it to.

Then you get to just watch it. There's no nerves. There's no uncertainty. You know exactly where its going, and you just watch it go there...almost as though its in slow motion.

Fantastic.

Waiting on that one..................................:(

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Carebear11

Fantastic.

Thats what does it for me, feels even better at 90 meters :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Ah, I thought there was more to it than .......well al the other "reasons" :)
    That's kinda what I wanted to hear. I know that feeling but just haven't felt it yet with a bow. Maybe, just maybe I'll stick it out a bit longer and see waht happens. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than shooting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Inkivaari

The craic, the way that down in Summerhill they'll do their best to help you, the strive for the perfect shot.

I love having a bow in my hand, I love it even though I'm 9/10 the most woeful archer on earth! When I do get a good shot, it makes it all worth it!

Its not for everyone, but thats because Archery is The Art Of Repetition, it can be boring!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 HansEbert

nope its really boring, dont know why i do it... competitions are alright i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Vayacondeos

I love doing 3D shoots, always a nice way to spend a morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I'm in to rifle shooting! and TBH compound bow shooting is nearly as technical!.
    I like understand tuning and spine and bow design, cam types and effects and other technical hunting stuff that i can use on holidays:rolleyes:

TBH it great! I can shoot in in the back garden with out a brigade of do-gooders and the ARU knocking on the door.

The main attraction for me is hunting! (for which i will have to travel to other EU country!) but I'm putting in the practice every night! and living for the big day!!;)

Remember that its illegal to hunt a wild mammal with an arrow in Ireland! but there are other places where its perfectly normal to do so in Europe!!

Advertisement