Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Girls going out with boys who are younger then them....why so taboo??

• 25-09-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

I started college 3 weeks ago and I made friends with a boy....lets call him B. I have gradually come to really fancy this guy: he likes the same stuff as me, we could talk for hours about nothing, I know he likes me too and he's really goodlooking,.....there's just one problem...

He's 17 and I'm 19.

I only found out his age today and immediatly felt wrong about the whole thing...two year age gap...not good. With further thought though I'm feeling a bit wronged, why is ok for lads to go out with girls who are younger then them and not the other way round?!

Opinions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I couldn't see any objection at all if you were 20 and he was 18 (your in college, he's in school, legal age etc). Still, I wouldn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I mis-read that and thought it said lets call him...8.

Anyway its 2 years,tis nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

nothing wrong with it at all..:)

Same gap with my parents.. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nams

It's different to say "my parents" because they are older and people percieve their age gap as nothing. But if I was in your situation I would think of it like "Would I go out with them if I was 15 and they were 13?"
    But then again reasing over this, there is a way different maturity gap between a 13 year old and a 15 year old. And usually people are pretty mature around 17. :/ So it really comes back to you and what your veiws are. If you feel wrong doing it, you feel wrong doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

thanks for the feedback:)the more I think about it the less wierd I feel tbh....he's a really mature fella,we'll see what happens...I'll keep ye posted:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

So your more concerned over a silly number then him as a actual person? Shouldn't really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Doesn't matter.

I'm a guy and have never gone out with anyone younger than me.

Of course I've only had like 2 proper (lasted more than a couple weeks) girlfriends

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Went out with a girl who was two years older than me for a long while.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I suppose its just kinda like would you mind having a boyfriend shorter than you? You know all the 'traditional' kinda things do they really bother you?

I don't think i'd go out with a fella younger than me.. but thats just my prefernce, I wouldn't bat an eyelid at people who do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

The older you get, the less it matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

phlegms wrote: »
    The older you get, the less it matters.

Once you get past secondary school age really just becomes a number.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

divide by 7 and add 2... Are they still old enough? Then who cares?

Are they not old enough? divide by 2 and add 7!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    divide by 7 and add 2...

So just under 4 and a half is old enough for a 17 year old?

No, it's divide by 2 and add 7, NEVER the other way around

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Well, agree to disagree :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Dump him immediately, and in future ensure your prospective mate was born the exact century, the exact decade, the exact year, the exact month, the exact day, the exact minute and the exact second that you were born. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Orizio wrote: »
    Dump him immediately, and in future ensure your prospective mate was born the exact century, the exact decade, the exact year, the exact month, the exact day, the exact minute and the exact second that you were born. ;)

dont worry OP, Ill put him back in his cage and ship him back to the Gaa forum where he can continue making very weird and stupid remarks :D.

*attaches padlock to cage*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd say you should go for it, I'm a 17 year old lad and (like to think anyway) that I can get on grand with girls up to about 20, but because they are older they automatically rule me out as an option, fairly annoying. Some people always go on about lads being a lot less mature than girls but I think when it comes down to it we're not really, as you said already you were getting on great with him and could talk to him for hours.

So why not give it a shot and see how it goes? If you dont you might always wonder what way it would have panned out if you didn't. I'm sure he would be delighted too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭g-whizz

I started college 3 weeks ago and I made friends with a boy....lets call him B. I have gradually come to really fancy this guy: he likes the same stuff as me, we could talk for hours about nothing, I know he likes me too and he's really goodlooking,.....there's just one problem...

He's 17 and I'm 19.

I only found out his age today and immediatly felt wrong about the whole thing...two year age gap...not good. With further thought though I'm feeling a bit wronged, why is ok for lads to go out with girls who are younger then them and not the other way round?!

Opinions??

half your age plus seven is the rule of thumb! you're cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I'm 17 and nearly every realationship i have been in has been with a someone that's older than me. I can't see their being much of a problem OP.

Advertisement