Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A way to get around Clamping

Options
  • 25-09-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I was thinking today, as I was running down the road to stop a clamper from clamping me.

What if I bought my own clamp and parked in a clamping zone and clamped myself, went off and did what I had to do and came back, unclamped myself and set off home happy as larry.

Any clamper that comes along would think, "this guys already been clamped"

Or if there is a way for clampers to know that this is not thier clamp you could clamp all four wheels yourself and then the clampers cant clamp an already clamped wheel.

Does anyone see any flaw to my idea?

Oh yea, I did get away without being clamped today, got in the car and drove away before the clamper could get the clamp on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

philiy wrote: »
    I was thinking today, as I was running down the road to stop a clamper from clamping me.

What if I bought my own clamp and parked in a clamping zone and clamped myself, went off and did what I had to do and came back, unclamped myself and set off home happy as larry.

Any clamper that comes along would think, "this guys already been clamped"

Or if there is a way for clampers to know that this is not thier clamp you could clamp all four wheels yourself and then the clampers cant clamp an already clamped wheel.

Does anyone see any flaw to my idea?

Oh yea, I did get away without being clamped today, got in the car and drove away before the clamper could get the clamp on.

yep as you unclamop your wheels, they could re-clamp them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Flaw - the lack of the big sticker warning you not to drive off. Bleedingly obvious to a clamper, they'll just clamp another wheel.

Also you'd not have the same logos on your clamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They probably clamp one of your other three wheels!

They wuld recognaise their own clamps, plus you'd have to get the big sticker and the fine pouch that goes behind the window.

These guys "work" areas so they'd recognaise cars that they have clamped. Eventually you'd be spotted. They might even tow you away.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭philiy

[HTML]yep as you unclamop your wheels, they could re-clamp them [/HTML]

only if they wait around for you, and if you are quick enough they cant do it.

If you get a mate to stand in front of the wheel while you start the car and pull off, this will prevent then clamping you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Even if you clamp all four, they could still lift it and say it was causing an obstruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

To be honest it would be far less effort to just park legally than to keep putting 4 clamps on your car and then getting 3 mates to stand in front of the 3 wheels you have just unclamped whilst you remove the last clamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

just take out all the bolts on all your wheels, car should be ok once it doesnt budge,then if you get clamped jack up the car and remove the clamped wheel then put the spare wheel on and take the clamped wheel home and find a way to cut the clamp off then leave the clamp back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

triple-M wrote: »
    just take out all the bolts on all your wheels, car should be ok once it doesnt budge,then if you get clamped jack up the car and remove the clamped wheel then put the spare wheel on and take the clamped wheel home and find a way to cut the clamp off then leave the clamp back

Have you actually tried this, most clamps are designed to block access to the wheel nuts...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

triple-M wrote: »

If your time is worth a sum total of zero, and the fuel to drop the (cut open, which they'll charge you for) clamp back is less than the parking charges, go ahead...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have you actually tried this, most clamps are designed to block access to the wheel nuts...

I reckon he means take them all out before you head of and go about your business.

Would add a good bit of time to whatever your doing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Stekelly wrote: »
    I reckon he means take them all out before you head of and go about your business.

Would add a good bit of time to whatever your doing though.

Would also be troublesome if one forgot to put them back on when one returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

theres two issues here...if you tamper with an official clamp on the street, Id say you'd get hammered....if you are clamped on priivate property and cut off the clamp, all you'll be liable for is the damage to the clamp or padlock,You have as much right to interfere with the clampers property as he has to mess with yours by clamping it.

Actually what is the law in regard to interfering with or removing a clamp? I presume that the you'd be done for criminal damage to public property. Is there anything in law specific to clamping?

As to the OP... maybe you should keep you clamp and when they clampers arrive to clamp you, nip out and clamp them! You could then do a trade off!

Actually, I have challenged DCC on what is the exact procedure of how clampers clamp a car and apparently there isn't one. I came out one day and found my car clamped but no ticket. The guys were hiding around the corner in their van writing up the tickets for the 3-4 cars they had just done. To me this was bad practice and it would be fair game to remove the clamp (if you had the time). It was also putting the cart before the horse. The clamp is a penalty and you need to notified of the penalty first. This was in the days of the old clamping company that DCC used that were well known for being heavy handed.

Mind you I've taken on the new company but you'd want to have a lot of free time to deal with their wriggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Davy wrote: »
    Even if you clamp all four, they could still lift it and say it was causing an obstruction.
    Clampers don't 'lift' vehicles. Gardai and council do that.
    BrianD wrote: »
    These guys "work" areas so they'd recognaise cars that they have clamped
    Yes - they radio in the reg of cars that they have clamped to HQ and would know what's going on in their 'patch'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ClampedWheel.jpg

Clampers don't 'lift' vehicles. Gardai and council do that.

Actually the clampers do have the ability to "lift" vehicles and either relocate them or remove to the pound.
    Yes - they radio in the reg of cars that they have clamped to HQ and would know what's going on in their 'patch'.

They have an electronic system and they also photograph the cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

is it illegal/pointless to remove them, say with a generator and grinder?
    I saw some mobile de-clamping contractors on telly recently

I suppose that even if they were to overlook you destroying one of their clamps that they would still come after to you for the amount of the penalty just like they would with a regular parking ticket. So you'll end up paying sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would seriously doubt that any scumbag private clamping firm would ever issue a claim for an unlawful penalty under contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

buying a ticket is a great way to avoid clamping;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

loads of wise guys in this forum it seems. :rolleyes:

Advertisement