Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf Mk V 140hp TSI - Opinions

Options
  • 25-09-2009 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi,

Had a look at one of these yesterday - fully loaded and lovely car to drive. What are peoples opinions and is there anything I should watch out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Well from the "peoples opinions" side of things, I have to ask why you want a car that you drive past every 10 seconds on Irish roads? Yes its a nice car in that theyre reliable (in the same sense every other car is now reliable) and a safe choice.

That not meant to be a sneery remark; what I mean is would there any other car you would consider in your price range other than a Golf? What made you arrive at the decision to buy a Golf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 baldyback

I have looked at a few cars and the golf is the one for me - there's no point in trying to suggest something else because my mind is made up.

The one i am looking at has GT spec with upgraded wheels, leather seats, climate control, DSG box, twin pipes, blootooth, i pod connection and the winter pack. It has 140hp and will get me to 60 in 8 seconds (not lightening fast but its quick) and its excellent on country roads aswell as motor way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Have one and love it. Few probs when it was new but has been a great car since. Your spec sounds great as well.

Mine had to have a water pump redone just after i got it. Also a dump valve had to be replaced on it. What year is the car? Make sure to check front tyres for wear as well depending on how it was driven it may need a new set:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 baldyback

its 2008 - lovely car

What was wrong with the dump valve?

No idea garage ran diag on the car said it needed to be replaced. didn't notice any difference myself tbh. Think it was the erg dump valve can't remember lol.

You should have whats left of the warrenty then I would go to a main dealers and get a service done before warrenty runs out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

baldyback wrote: »
    I have looked at a few cars and the golf is the one for me - there's no point in trying to suggest something else because my mind is made up.

The one i am looking at has GT spec with upgraded wheels, leather seats, climate control, DSG box, twin pipes, blootooth, i pod connection and the winter pack. It has 140hp and will get me to 60 in 8 seconds (not lightening fast but its quick) and its excellent on country roads aswell as motor way.

Fair enough, as long as your happy with the car thats all that matters. Sounds like a well kitted out car, DSG box makes it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nismo's turbo blew up I seem to recall

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

His was the 170bhp version though afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

what sorta price are they asking for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

its 2008 - lovely car

What was wrong with the dump valve?

Common problem on VAG engines - they use a ****ty cheap plastic one.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

nice car..good luck with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Hardly worth asking for opinion so!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I would be very tempted to get a remap, but I wouldnt like to fix a turbo and a supercharger if they fail:D Still a remap would make this near hot hatch territory;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Biro wrote: »
    Hardly worth asking for opinion so!! :D

Agreed. Looks like the OP's gonna buy it anyway no matter what other peoples opinions are. Why ask then I ask? :confused:

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    I would be very tempted to get a remap, but I wouldnt like to fix a turbo and a supercharger if they fail:D Still a remap would make this near hot hatch territory;)

The remaps can bring them up 190bhp. But with the uprating you would have to do wouldn't be worth it:(

Advertisement