Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost keys question

Options
  • 25-09-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering what would happen if

A) Lost my car keys
    B) Cant find my log book

How would i go about getting new keys?

Would i need to get my car toed to a Garage ? or apply for a new log book get the chassis number and apply for new keys? But then how does the Key get coded to the car ?

any help would be great,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering what would happen if

A) Lost my car keys
    B) Cant find my log book

How would i go about getting new keys?

Would i need to get my car toed to a Garage ? or apply for a new log book get the chassis number and apply for new keys? But then how does the Key get coded to the car ?

any help would be great,
    what type of car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

sorry i should have posted that

It's a Nissan Almera sport 99D

sorry i should have posted that

It's a Nissan Almera sport 99D

You can get the chassis off carzone a Nissan dealer will be able to get you a spare key. Was it a result of Arthurs day?

no... I was in Manchester last weekend for the match.. I left my keys in the Apartment we where staying and they said they posted them monday by reg post but still not here,,,

How can i get my chassis number from carzone ?
    Also i thought all Keys need to be coded to the car before they will actually start the car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

You can get the chassis off carzone a Nissan dealer will be able to get you a spare key. Was it a result of Arthurs day?
    ??? where will chassis number be on carzone????

• Advertisement

sorry cartel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

sorry cartel!

You won't get that on a free cartel report so that'll cost you 20 quid at east.

If the Nissan dealer it was bought off originally is still in business you could try giving them a ring with the reg number and I'm sure they'd be able to sort you out with a set of keys if you called up to them with your licence and the insurance policy form that you tear the windscreen disc off showing your name and the reg of the car as that should be enough to prove that you're genuine !

Or is the chasis (or Vehicle Identification Number or VIN as its now known) on the document you get for renewing your motor tax...If so do you still have this lying around ?

Or maybe if you've had it serviced in a Nissan dealer recently it would be on their system and they might be able to get the VIN for you!

I don't think Nissan coded their keys back in 99 but I could be wrong....I seem to remember getting a copy of a key cut in a locksmith after the spare got lost (it was a 97 almera).

I bought it privatly about 4 years ago,, never brought it to a Nissan garage for service,, my mates does all the services on it ...

The reason i thought it needed to be coded as it has an immobiliser in it,

I'm sure i could find the Insurance policy and i might have a car tax doc lying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

it will need to be coded and you will have to get it to a garage if you want the main dealer to do it. ive used speedykey.ie in the past for lost keys

how much is that speedykey service ? looks good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Or try www.autokey.ie might be worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mickeym530

ull have to get the chassis number to get the key code ,its a 4 digit that is needed to cut to blades..the key has to be coded alrite to the imobilisor but its not like the newer model that u have to get the smart entrance box and ring nissan with the codes on that and then theyl give u a nats code.with your model it just has to be put on the nissan computer consult 2 or 3 and just press start.if you have any hassle give me a shout and ill prob b able get u a key code and key cut andd coded

Just want to say thanks to Speedykeys they came to my house,, made a new key coded it to the car with no problems. Much cheaper then any of the other places I called, 100% top job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Just want to say thanks to Speedykeys they came to my house,, made a new key coded it to the car with no problems. Much cheaper then any of the other places I called, 100% top job

Just out of interest how much did it cost ?

€195

Advertisement