Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Shop Design

Options
  • 25-09-2009 11:17am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am currently an ebayer with a good overall demand for about 30 products I sell, mainly through-out Europe & Ireland. Not a full time job either. But ebay are killing sellers on fees etc (thats another days discussion)

Have been toying with a web-shop for a few weeks and though I would question yourselves on it.
    I have searched til no end and found doyourownwebsites & myswiftstore & zencart etc -all selling different products, at different costs etc for instant shops & services.

I require a basic enough webshop - payments allowable by paypal, google and visa (this would a great to have). SEO support.
    So, am I better off going with an instant webstore and keeping costs down ?
    or is there another option ?

Any advice, opinions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Hope this is ok as a thread.
    thanks
    Karl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Get a web Host, Blacknight etc. Lynux package is easier for Noob's (well thats what I have and what I got told)
    Buy your Domian,
    Install which ever Shop Solution you find best. OScommerece is great but requires a bit of HTML knowledge, prob easier with ZEN Cart, I also find this great and has Loads of free skins out there.
    Install a free skin from somewhere try change it to suit you site i.e shop name etc, if you find this hard you will also get someone who will do this on Adverts.ie wanted section for small enough money.
    Fill in your T&C's pages, Paypal etc
    there is already functions for PayPal etc built into these solutions so you just have to write in your Paypal accounts info etc.
    Populate your shop and your off.

Obviously not as easy as that but alot less work than you would think.:D

I worked bits and pieces out myself by playing around while working nights for a month or soo, but if you could get someone to give you a quick crash course this would always speed things up.

would defo save big time on Ebay Fees. Plus you could be linking to your site from your Ebay auctions..

come to think of it, PM me if you want I have a friend who does this type of thing, (it was him that made me go off and try myself before scalding him) glad of it thought as I kind of learned a good bit from it.

If you PM me your details I can send it onto him, Also maybe a linky to and Ebay auction and rough break down of what you would like.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

tombull82 wrote: »
    Get a web Host, Blacknight etc. Lynux package is easier for Noob's (well thats what I have and what I got told)

Its Linux..you noob :D

Also tut tut no soliciting on behalf of your mate, there are rules as regards soliciting for work in the charter even if it is on your mates behalf..

You have options out there that are Open Source (free) such as Oscommerce, Zencart, Magento etc all of which probably require some basic web knowledge to setup and get going, magento being the more difficult one. You would have to organise the hosting and template it etc but if you are in any way interested its a bit of a challenge I guess. However it is your business at the end of the day and the website will represent it so you can hire a designer or use one of the ready to go pay monthly options you described above. I wouldnt say its easy to be honest to do it right, sure you can throw up a site using a template and something like oscommerce but you have SEO and issues with security etc to contend with also.

Axwell wrote: »
    Its Linux..you noob :D

Also tut tut no soliciting on behalf of your mate, there are rules as regards soliciting for work in the charter even if it is on your mates behalf..

Ehhh Typo maybe!!;) "for noob's" thats why I have it....

Too true about forgot about that, (Sorry)
    Adverts is the place to go as any thread I seen looking for Web design usually gets loads of offers..

While I know too well that to make a great webshop you are looking at experts in the field,
    All I am saying is that If you want (and have a LOT of time) you could well do a fairly good looking site yourself again with a good bit of trial and error. But I have to say my last site looked very well and had many customers who returned over and over. OH and mainly done by a Noob..;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Thanks for the replies folks.

I have the time and determination to do this - so I may just have a go myself.

Will look at the info you replied with - thanks - over the weekend.

much appreciated,

k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

Hi karl,

I was like yourself, trying to find the best possible solution and at a low cost to sell online, in the end I chose paypal, they handle all payments for me including cc and with just a little bit of tweaking it integrated nicely and this is what I suggest for you. No hassle and within a few minutes the store was up and running.

Here is the link to check out their video demos of the stores in action - hope this helps!

URL: https://www.paypal.com/ie/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/general/GettingStartedWithPayPal-outside

Advertisement