Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this insect?

Options
  • 24-09-2009 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Some kind of gnat or a mosquito? I've got them in my house for the first time (last year it was ants). The milder weather means that they're living longer then I'd expect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 cligereen

You are quite right, it's a mosquito.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

There are mosquitos in Ireland???
    So many weird insects about. And spiders are getting much stranger and bigger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

There are mosquitos in Ireland???

Yep, sure are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

looks like a mosquito! Love the squished photo!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i think the spiders are getting bigger coz it's time for them to make babies now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

but the one's in Ireland dont carry malaria do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 cligereen

Irish mossies do not carry malaria (yet) but the malaria carrying ones have been spreading steadily north across Africa and into Europe for some time. Maybe something to do with global warming.

However, if a mini ice age is forecast as I read in the weather forum then I reckon they'll be heading back south fairly smartly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Remember malaria is species specific - you can't get pig or sheep malaria - only a human type - so you don't just need a mosquito to carry it but a reserve of humans with it for an epidemic.

If I remember correctly - there are 7 species of mosquito in northern europe capable of carrying malaria.

Malaria was endemic in london until the westminster marshes were drained in the middle ages. It was endemic in italy until eliminated with DDT around the second world war and also in northern australia - but in northern oz - the very sparse population made it possible to treat everyone who had it to eliminate the human reservoir and hence australia is the only tropical country without malaria.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I read somewhere malaria was here too way back in the day. "The ague" it was called IIRC Again marshes outside Dublin were to blame. The warm weather before the little ice age may have had something to do with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement