Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Symbol

Options
  • 24-09-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭

To all our Mods
    Would it be possible to add an extra symbol at the bottom of posts
    just like the Thank You symbol (Thumb Up), which i and others use to thank or show agreement with the opinions expressed by a poster

My sugestion would be a Thumb Down Symbol to show that you disagree with the comments, language or tone of comments/suggestions expressed by any poster on this forum
    i am sure there are many posters like me who disagree with some of the comments expressed here
    all we can do now is stay silent or engage in counter suggestions/banter
    i think this would be a quick means of getting feedback to see if others agree/disagree with you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

more of a feedback issue tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

nice idea but would be better over in somewhere like the feedback http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=82 as anything like this would be a bit bigger than just the airsoft forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The mods here can't just be dealing out thumbs willy nilly, the admins do that.

Besides, its guaranteed to cause trouble, its been suggested many times before site wide but shot down for the same reasons, trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

The mods here can't just be dealing out thumbs willy nilly, the admins do that.

Besides, its guaranteed to cause trouble, its been suggested many times before site wide but shot down for the same reasons, trouble.

useless info sam, im giving you a,
    3950790211_5cdf2596b8_o.gif

Masada wrote: »
    useless info sam, im giving you a,
    3950790211_5cdf2596b8_o.gif

Also this **** would abuse the system wholesale, and by system, I mean me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

See what i did there...

I gave ya a thumbs up.

:p

Masada wrote: »
    See what i did there...

I gave ya a thumbs up.

:p

I'll tell ye where ye can shove your thumb, up your bleedin gucci.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

People on Boards are fun.

Can we have a pie symbol too, so that we can automatically throw a pie at the users face?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

As mentioned, one for boards.ie feedback, however, i cant help but recall a similar 'reputation' system on another forum, where users could + 1 or -1 users willynilly like this...

it became utterly abused, and meant sod all in the end. I can only see such a system being abused here too to be quite honest. Disagree with the post? grow a pair and tell them in public.

I've always felt the Thanks system has at times, been like the gang of kids standing behind the bully cheering them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

:D

• Advertisement

lol smartarse :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Firekitten wrote: »
    I've always felt the Thanks system has at times, been like the gang of kids standing behind the bully cheering them on.
    As a giver and a reciever of the thanks button (more of a a giver me ;) ) that discription of the thanks button fits

Afraid to thank you in case it's mistaken for bullying :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Boards.ie actually had a reputation system which died a horrible death about a year or two ago. The problem was, as has been mentioned, that it was used to stir sh*t and harass people and gave no great benefit to boards.ie other than being a headache for admins & mods.

Speaking from an adverts.ie (yes, I actually mod over all adverts - hence my ability to siteban which I don't use near at all since it's not within my remit - not just airsoft for those who thought differently) perspective, it was used as a weapon by some users; unfairly so.

I give this suggestion an exceptionally large (ironically enough) thumbs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Lemming wrote: »
    Boards.ie actually had a reputation system which died a horrible death about a year or two ago. The problem was, as has been mentioned, that it was used to stir sh*t and harass people and gave no great benefit to boards.ie other than being a headache for admins & mods.

Speaking from an adverts.ie (yes, I actually mod over all adverts - hence my ability to siteban which I don't use near at all since it's not within my remit - not just airsoft for those who thought differently) perspective, it was used as a weapon by some users; unfairly so.

I give this suggestion an exceptionally large (ironically enough) thumbs down.

Was that the 'Karma' idea where you give people karma?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Thanks to all for you opinions, be they ya or nay
    funny enough i can see both sides of the arguement
    if i do not agree with somebodys opinion i do not need to grow a pair and express my own opinion of there opinion
    i like so many an one of the silent majority and often would just like to voice my disaproval
    i would also fight for the right for others to express there opionions weather i agree with them or not
    its called freedom of expression

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

I seen a thread like this before going back a few months ago but the idea didn't go down too well though.

Well you seem to manage to express your opinion perfectly well by thanking one side of the argument in plenty of topics, if you want to click more boxes... take some online surveys.

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Was that the 'Karma' idea where you give people karma?

I believe so. TBH, I rarely paid it much attention save to slap my face in rage every time I got users complaining about its abuse (which was reasonably frequent)
    DeBurca wrote: »
    if i do not agree with somebodys opinion i do not need to grow a pair and express my own opinion of there opinion
    i like so many an one of the silent majority and often would just like to voice my disaproval
    i would also fight for the right for others to express there opionions weather i agree with them or not
    its called freedom of expression

First; freedom of expression does not exist on boards.ie, and never has. You make your posts here at the grace of the site owners since they are answerable to the law if you make a legally retarded post.

Secondly, I think the facility makes for lazy user replying, and a lost art in speaking what you think rather than relying on a "thumbs up/down" to do the talking for you and hiding behind it rather than facing the consequences of what you're saying to so speak. I'm guilty of using the thanks feature myself, but I do think it can lead to precisely that which the thumbs down would do, albeit perhaps a bit more surreptitiously.

Firekitten wrote: »
    Well you seem to manage to express your opinion perfectly well by thanking one side of the argument in plenty of topics

Tbh, this sits side by side with my comment above. I've witnessed plenty of posts where people have used the thanks feature (as individuals and/or en-masse) to imply innuendo or discretely insult somebody by thanking or lack there of given context. Personally I think the thanks feature should be done away with, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've wanted a "dislike" on facebook for ages, still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

The Report Post button is ok for individual posts, but I find the Ignore User link works like a charm for those people who you just run out of patience with eventually.

• Advertisement

I've wanted a "dislike" on facebook for ages, still waiting.
    you could just delete someone as a friend :P

OzCam wrote: »
    The Report Post button is ok for individual posts,

I find that comment a bit alarming in its implication. I freely accept I could just be reading it another way to you OzCam. You don't use the report post button because you disagree with someone; you use it because they're violating the rules or what-not.

Again, I've seen the report post being used like a weapon (politics forum is a 'fascinating' place ... ), but thankfully rarely and it's usually very easy as a moderator to spot.
    but I find the Ignore User link works like a charm for those people who you just run out of patience with eventually.

Ah, but curiosity usually gets the better and you just *have* to click that "view post" link :pac:

I've only ever had 3 people on my Ignore list. One was someone I used to get into online spats with, and I thought it was happening too often. But he's matured immensely in the last 6 months, and he's always been knowledgeable, readable, funny and entertaining in a highly opinionated way so I took him off it a while ago. I even agree with him sometimes.

Of the other two, one I don't care about one way or the other, the other seems to be a lost cause. So no, I don't really expect to be reading their posts. Life's too short.

OzCam wrote: »
    I've only ever had 3 people on my Ignore list. One was someone I used to get into online spats with, and I thought it was happening too often. But he's matured immensely in the last 6 months, and he's always been knowledgeable, readable, funny and entertaining in a highly opinionated way so I took him off it a while ago. I even agree with him sometimes.

Of the other two, one I don't care about one way or the other, the other seems to be a lost cause. So no, I don't really expect to be reading their posts. Life's too short.

I've found the ignore poster feature to be a bit moot. If another user quotes them, you see it anyway. And it breaks the readability and progression of a thread. Eventually you start to dwell on whether or not to select "view post" and then you're right back where you started and let down because the post isn't something that makes you scream with rage. Then you're left feeling why did you bother with the ignore feature in the first place.

Of course, that gets compounded if you're a moderator. Mind you ... I've seen plenty a deleted post (yes we can see them after you delete them ... ) and wanted the last 5 seconds of my life back :p

It can be argued either way (and we're digressing from the original thread so apoligies to the OP) but on balance I've found the ignore feature to be a waste of time. Nice in concept, flawed in practice.

The ability to ignore PM's however would be nice. Hmmmm, must mention that to the lads.

If another user quotes them, you see it anyway. And it breaks the readability and progression of a thread.
    I find most threads are a lot nicer to read with the interference and condescension filtered out, don't you?
    on balance I've found the ignore feature to be a waste of time. Nice in concept, flawed in practice.
    It's working fine for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

The thanks button if fine if not overused, however I think a no-thanks would be pointless in a discussion as how do you know what people are disagreeing with?
    If the subject can be covered by yes/no include a poll

Constructive disagreement can be helpful but plain negativity isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Smokerkl

About this ignore thing. Do you know if your being ignored?
    S..

Did someone just say something? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Closed

Not Airsoft related

I see there's a thread about this in feedback already

*puts everyone in this thread on ignore

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement