Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia and Linksys WRT54GL problem

Options
  • 24-09-2009 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

I have been having issues with the wireless from the pos netopia router I have from Eircon so I got a Linksys WRT54GL router to put in front of it

I have installed DD-WRT onto the Linksys router

I have connected from one of the Lan Out ports on the Netopia to the Internet socket on the Linksys and I have a Windows 7 Desk top connected via Ethernet

I have a NAS server that if I plug it in to the Linksys gets an ip and looks ok.

On the basic setup page I have Automatic Configuration- DHCP
    I log on to the Linksys and I can see a WAN IP up in the top right of the control panel
    Under Status -> WAN
    I have that wan address as my ip address
    and the ip of the Netopia has automagically appeared for subnet mask and gateway

Under Status -> LAN
    I have the standard 192.168.1.1
    255 255 255 0 for subnet and 0's for gateway and local dns
    The PC appears as an active client with an IP in the expected range

The problem is that I cannot ping out to any internet address I cannot see anything past the router I cannot even ping the netopia.

I'm sure I'm missing something basic and stupid but I'm stumped as to what it is right now. I hope there is enough info there
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Whats the WAN address reporting as?
    If you only connect the WRT to the Netopia router just like it was a PC/device on the Netopia network it should have an IP like 192.168.x.x

Ideally, you want to be able to get that Netopia device into whats called 'modem' mode, were its router functions are turned off and it can then be controlled by the Linksys as a modem (using PPPoE)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

kerbdog wrote: »
    Whats the WAN address reporting as?
    If you only connect the WRT to the Netopia router just like it was a PC/device on the Netopia network it should have an IP like 192.168.x.x

Ideally, you want to be able to get that Netopia device into whats called 'modem' mode, were its router functions are turned off and it can then be controlled by the Linksys as a modem (using PPPoE)

The wan address is 192.168.1.3x Looks just like a typical address normally assigned to any device by the netopia.

My plan was to get it running alongside the Netopia to start with and then later change the Netopia to Bridge or Modem mode. I was looking at that a bit last night and it wasn't very clear how to reconfigure the netopia. But that is for another day.

So, your LAN DNS on your linksys needs to be set to the WAN address as its gonna be your Netopia doing the DNS lookups unless you know your ISPs DNS servers. The same for the gateway I believe.

I would just do the cut over to using the Netopia as a modem only (if it can indeed work in that mode). I'm using a Netgear DGsomething in that mode, works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Hi,

this is how I put a netopia into bridge mode:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60891130&postcount=12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Thanks folks,
    I put the Netopia into bridge mode and it all worked without any hassle.
    I'm still completely at a loss to explain why they wouldn't work together. If I ever figure it out I'lll make a follow up post.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks,
    I put the Netopia into bridge mode and it all worked without any hassle.
    I'm still completely at a loss to explain why they wouldn't work together. If I ever figure it out I'lll make a follow up post.

Good stuff, great to hear it all went well.
    Best thing now is that you never have to deal with the Netopia device ever again :)

Advertisement