Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for learning off English quotes?

Options
  • 24-09-2009 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I find them really hard to learn and remember,help please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

post 5 hard ones to remember here and we'll come up with a few mneumonics (maybe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭smileyxx

pathway33 wrote: »
    post 5 hard ones to remember here and we'll come up with a few mneumonics (maybe)

All of them are hard and there is too many for my brain to remember :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

smileyxx wrote: »
    All of them are hard and there is too many for my brain to remember :(

so forget about the hard ones. try to remember ones like

'I cannot heave my heart into my mouth'

would you be able to remember that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Trying to learn off quotes by themselves is difficult and pointless.

1. Make sure you understand them first
    2. Then, make sure they are in context i.e. when they are said and by whom and why.
    3. Arrange them by character and/or scene. Write them out if needs be.

For the Cordelia example above, it always sounds to me like she's trying to puke out her love!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Post-its are great. Put some up in your room.
    You'll see them every day and they'll go in eventually.
    Also try saying them repeatedly.
    If it's still hard, record your own voice saying them and keep listening to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

Just learn simple one line quotes. They're the easiest to remember. No need to learn those huge big long ones.

Anyway any big long quote that you learn this time of year will be gone out of your head well before June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

what i used to do is lets just say a quote is 5 lines i used to learn the first line off by heart then when i had that memorised id move on to the second and learn and recite the first two lines then move onto the third and learn and recite the first 3 lines and so on ubtill i knew the whole quote, this worked brilliantly for me hope it helps

Why are you so worried about quotes already? It's very early to be worrying about such a small aspect of the course. Take care not to concentrate so much on this to the exclusion of preparing good essays and practising your writing skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

you cant write good answers if you dont know any quotes

Post-its are great. Put some up in your room.
    You'll see them every day and they'll go in eventually.
    Also try saying them repeatedly.
    If it's still hard, record your own voice saying them and keep listening to it.

+1, post its basically lead to eventual diffusion into your brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Just learn the most important quotes, as well as one's that can be used in any question. Quotes dont need to be long either - I used loads of 2 and 3 word quotes in my answers.

you cant write good answers if you dont know any quotes

You can't write an essay made up of just quotes either! They are needed to back up your points, not instead of them. I've seen excellent Shakespeare essays with one quote per paragraph. For the poetry, 2/3 choice quotes per poem is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Write them out lots?

Tbh, the method I used was to take a tiny portion of a quote.

I did Hamlet, and the classic soliloquy begins with 'To be or not to be.' Learn individual phrases, not the whole thing.

Quotes are there to support what you write, nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

My friend is the same way, finds it really hard, what she does is she records herself saying them on her phone, then listens to it on the bus or whenever, finds it works wonders.

Maybe try and spread them out aswell, take one or two a day, then revise them ll on sunday or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Read them out-loud, always seemed to work for me. Also, try to say them in a rhythm. It can make them a lot easier to remember.

Advertisement