Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foo Fighters

Options
  • 24-09-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Searched and was surprised there was no dedicated thread on them...

Anyways they have a Greatest Hits album coming out in November and a new single out on Monday:

I don't know how Dave Grohl manages to find the time what with Them Crooked Vultures, FF and his million other side projects! I realise Foo Fighters aren't a genre breaking band but they do have very decent songs, even if some albums are a bit hit and miss - particularly their last one was a tad too poppy and melodramatic for my liking, but this new song sounds very promising for whenever their new album comes out (Methinks it will be late next year)
    Any one who says they're bland as ****e, listen to Colour and the Shape and you will realise your folly ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Never been a huge FF fan,seen 'em live twice and put on a great show but some of their albums are a bit hit and miss. A greatest hits sounds good though,get all the best bits(even though i could just buy individual tracks from 7digital!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

One of their better songs. I like their debut and The Colour and the Shape, thereafter i lost interest in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Loved the 1st 3 albums, anything and everything after that has been lost on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Funny, was only thinkin about when they'd bring out something new the other day while listening to the pretender. Like the foo's have some very good songs, hopefully they'll hit Ireland next year, love to see em live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Some great songs but since One By One they've been dodgy in my opinion. Anyone who hasn't heard their b-side Iron And Stone should check it out. Amazing song.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I love FF. I love all the albums but I'm not sure about 'Wheels'. It seems more pop than anything on Echoes IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Anyone else think Tom Petty when listening to Wheels? Or is it just me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Kess73 wrote: »
    Anyone else think Tom Petty when listening to Wheels? Or is it just me? :D

That's exactly what Paul McLoone said on Today FM after he played it! :D

That's exactly what Paul McLoone said on Today FM after he played it! :D

Is it a bad thing that I think the same as whoever he is did? Or does it mean I am him? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Kess73 wrote: »
    Is it a bad thing that I think the same as whoever he is did? Or does it mean I am him? :D

I think it means that you cant come up with your own opinion so you use other peoples :D

• Advertisement

I think it means that you cant come up with your own opinion so you use other peoples :D

Or it means the song sounds a lot like Tom Petty from around the time of his "Into The Great Wide Open" album.

Must remember in future that if anyone on here has an opinion similar to what someone else said, that they have no opinion of their own and just jump on bandwagons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Biffy Clyro owe them royalties!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I like there first two album,everything after that is a bit hit and miss,although I do like the song "have it all".

Nolanger wrote: »

totally got confused there, my mistake! I would defo agree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Nolanger wrote: »

For what? Having long hair and beards? :pac:

tailgunner wrote: »
    For what? Having long hair and beards? :pac:

Dave has a glorious beard...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

No on can deny that Dave is a legend. The Foos are one of my favourite bands purely because they're just 100% fun. Saw them live twice, great gigs. I'm not too gone on the last album, but looking forward to what they come out with next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I like the Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl is a lovely guy. Everlong and The Best of You are amazin songs but I don't think on a whole, that they are that great. I saw them live and they are pretty boring. I just think something is lacking, a spark or whatever. It's hard to get into their music and feel it.

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I like the Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl is a lovely guy. Everlong and The Best of You are amazin songs but I don't think on a whole, that they are that great. I saw them live and they are pretty boring. I just think something is lacking, a spark or whatever. It's hard to get into their music and feel it.

I saw them in Marlay Park in 2007 and I thought they were excellent! Each and to their own I suppose :)

I think they lack a bit on the improv front in a live show but they make up for it in energy and Dave's interaction with the band (and his brilliant sense of humour! I'll never forget his sheep-shagging comment in Marlay Park:))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I saw them in Marlay Park in 2007 ....I'll never forget his sheep-shagging comment in Marlay Park:))

I saw them too. I've forgotten that comment. NIN stole that show. I left early because FF let me down. Imemmorable concert and I was really excited to see them. Was front row too.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I saw them in Marlay Park in 2007 and I thought they were excellent! Each and to their own I suppose :)

I think they lack a bit on the improv front in a live show but they make up for it in energy and Dave's interaction with the band (and his brilliant sense of humour! I'll never forget his sheep-shagging comment in Marlay Park:))

Agreed . I also went to the Marley Park gig and thought they were class jus a great live band and Dave is one of the best frontmen imo . All i can remember is Dave pretty much telling us about the whole sheep thing that you grab there legs etc etc funny stuff . Been a massive fan since There Is Nothing Left To Lose . Cant wait till the album is released in Nov and once they have a stop off over here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I saw them live and they are pretty boring. I just think something is lacking, a spark or whatever.

I think a lot of their energy is lost in bigger venues... they always seem a little out of place playing stadiums. Would love to see them in a small indoor venue.

I'm not too gone on their recent output, but the first couple of albums were excellent. The Colour and the Shape in particular is hard to fault.

Hopefully the next album is a step away from the 70s stadium rock sound they seem to be going for at the moment. I think they have a kick-ass industrial album in them - Dave has been hanging around with NIN and The Prodigy enough for it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Dont get me wrong I love the FF but I saw them live and they were awful. on the day, QOTSA blew them away.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I've seen them a few times live - Slane, Oxegen and The Point, all brilliant shows. They're quite entertaining to see live. I loved the earlier albums, but they kinda lost me on In Your Honour, but I would probably still try go see 'em live. I still love The Colour and The Shape :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 iercepa

great live band without doubt but heard the new song "wheels" on phantom recently and was really unimpressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

calex71 wrote: »
    Loved the 1st 3 albums, anything and everything after that has been lost on me.

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

'The color and the shape' FTW ....they never did a better record since.....'new way home'.....what a song.....

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Witnness warm-up gig back in 2003 (??) in The Ambassador with Jimmy Eat World, front row.

One of The Best gigs I have ever been to in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

The Colour And The Shape is the only album I like fully. After There Is Nothing Left To Lose, I lost interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Absolutely fantastic live act, but apart from the first album, none of the albums are particularly great-all have their highlights but overall feel imcomplete.
    However, theres another side to this coin- the greatest hits ,which is coming out soon enough, should be a great album!

Edit: Just saw the tracklisting - No Stacked Actors?!?

Advertisement