Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions Please!

Options
  • 24-09-2009 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was recently told about an oppurtunity to work with a childrens charity summer camp in America for next summer and it got me thinking how I would really like to get involved with a project like this one. Room and board, plus a weekly wage was provided and it seemed like a really worthwhile, fun way to spend the summer. However, I will unfortunately be on clinical placement until the middle of June and staff are required to attend mandatory training form the end of May and despite my attempts to move my college commitments around, I have to admit that it is just not posible this year:mad:
    However, I would really love to get involved in a similar project and am wondering if anyone has ANY suggestions at all?
    I know quite a few people who have gone to Africa/India and the problems with these organisations, form what I can tell is that;

1. The huge amount of fundraising required to fund the volunteers trip-unfortunatly I just dont have the amount of time to dedicate to that kind of effort during the year and I am in no position to fund it myself.
    2.Without running down the work done by any of these organisations, I know people who have gone to these countries and spent more time seeing the sights and actually partying than doing any kind of real work, not that I'm against sight seeing/partying but i would like to feel I was making a difference.
    3.I know this is a charitable thing but I really do like my creature comforts so I do think I would prefer something that is not based in a third world country, but at the same time would love to go abroad, anywhere like America, Australia or even the UK would be ideal.

So, as demanding as it is, they are my requests. Help Please!All advice welcome!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

How much do you need to raise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭allsaintssue

For the job in America, nothing , it is just clashes in schedules that are preventing me there.
    I know someone who went to Africa for three months and she had to raise 7000 euro, I know she didnt feel it was the most worthwhile experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bleh1234

If you are willing to stay in Ireland you could either go to Barretstown, which is for kids with ca/life limiting conditions & their families or Sunshine House which provides holidays for underprivileged kids.

http://www.barretstown.org/content.asp?ContentId=1037
    http://www.sunshinefund.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&ItemID=55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I don't have an answer to your question. But does your nursing degree not allow for an overseas placement, like the medical one does? A student nurse in many parts of the world would be very useful.

The other option is that there are a few orphanages who look for people to help out during holidays. I was talking to the owner of one in Papua New Guinea recently, who was looking for people from my class. But PNG is a very dangerous country and isn't a great idea for girls travelling alone.

The other ones, where you pay big money, are often just not worth it. If they cream off a huge chunk of the cash, then they're best avoided. For example, they often send over college kids to build houses and to teach. But that money would pay locals to do the job properly, which is more beneficial to the economy, and is more sustainable.

But doing something like this will be a good prep for medicine, too. Especially if you go overseas, as you'll likely see the fallout of lots of diseases, especially AIDS orphans.

But don't worry if it doesn't happen this year. You have lots of time to do work like that.
    I know it's a bit rough, but if you do have to stay at home, help out in a soup kitchen, or a drugs project if you feel you're up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭allsaintssue

Thanks for that advice and links-all much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

VSI might be able to give you some pointers?
    Cheshire Homes use volunteers - I always seemed to bump into young people from all over the world in the CH in Dublin when I used visit there.
    You might also be able to track down some community projects which would be delighted to get volunteers in the countries you want to visit. Provision of accommodation might be an issue though.

Advertisement