Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 phase RCD MCB questions....

Options
  • 24-09-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all
    i'm putting together a 3 phase board for a job i am doing at the mo...its my first 3 phase domestic, i'v mainly been doing larger cable works and the likes...

its a retail unit wit only 3 phase connections the rest are all single phase

3phase cooker through a 32a isolator 5X6sq
    3phase cooker through a 25a isolator 5x2.5sq
    3phase socket 5x2.5sq

the rest is just sockets and lights....

Can i get a 3phase RCD and feed all my single phase MCB's off that for my socket circuits? for the lights can i feed all my lighting MCB's from my main switch fuse?

For the rest i was going to a RCBO for my 3 phase socket and two £phase MCB's for the 2 ovens....?

Thanks for any help or advice...Dan:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i use only 2-pole rcds for single-phase sockets(there's a reason i can't recall atm).
    if it's 1 3-phase whole-current meter just balance the single-phase loads on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

One reason (though it may not be the only one, I don't have the regs handy) is that by putting them on seperate rcds you won't have all your sockets trip out together.

You don't want the cash register, pc or any other vital equipment loosing power just because the kettle element has blown!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Can i get a 3phase RCD and feed all my single phase MCB's off that for my socket circuits?
    Single phase sockets can not be fed from a 3 phase RCD as this is against regulations. Normally with commercial installations RCBOs would be used for each socket circuit.

davelerave:
    i use only 2-pole rcds for single-phase sockets(there's a reason i can't recall atm).
    + 1 dave. It has something to do with a broken neutral as far as I recall.
    for the lights can i feed all my lighting MCB's from my main switch fuse?
    Yes this would be normal.
    i was going to a RCBO for my 3 phase socket
    Yes the 3 phase sockets must be fed from a 3 phase RCD (& MCB).
    two £phase MCB's for the 2 ovens....?
    I guess you mean a 3 phase MCB for each oven, this would be correct as these are a fixed appliances it does not require RCD protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dan_

2011 Thanks for your info..apart from having 3 rcd's my only other option is all rcbo's..which is not really an option as to the size of the board in place, its a job i have taken over after the last builders went bang.

i will look into getting a larger board , but his funds may not allow, so 3 rcd is an acceptable way of connecting all my socket circuits?

again thanks :)

Cash registers might need dedicated circuit.i would keep any deep freezers away from rcd if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dan_

thanks lads...i have it all sorted not ..i went with 3 rcd's.....but i was told there is no such as a 3phase rcbo,,,so its a rcd and mcb beside each other????:confused::confused:

good luck with it.i think one advantage with separate rcd/mcb for socket circuits is troubleshooting occasional trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Single phase sockets can not be fed from a 3 phase RCD as this is against regulations. Normally with commercial installations RCBOs would be used for each socket circuit.

davelerave:
    + 1 dave. It has something to do with a broken neutral as far as I recall.
    quote]

yes a 3 phase rcd feeding multiple single phase socket circuits would create serious problems if the neutral feeding the rcd broke, the socket circuits would then be like a star connected inbalanced load with no neutral and so the voltages across items plugged in would depend on the impedence of the load, if nothing was plugged in and then a lamp is plugged in it would`t light, but if you then plug a kettle in on a different ciruit but also on this 3 phase rcd it would now be in series with the lamp and the lamp would have the majority of the 400 volts across it, probably over 350 volts, maybe the same problem is present on 3 phase socket circuits also, but a 3 phase socket is more likely to have a balanced 3 phase load fed from it

Advertisement