Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arghh Switch to Router

Options
  • 24-09-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, hoping a networking expert may help me out here. Been using a Belkin FSD7632-4 ADSL 2+ router on Smart telecom for my internet. Works rock solid. Recently I've been looking to move my home network to a mix of wireless and wired.

The wired network I'm installing is 1gbit CAT 5-E gigabit ethernet, so I ran into a problem with my Belkin router, as it only supports 10/100mbit. No problem I thought, I'll buy a cheap switch (D-link DGS-1005D 10/100/1000) and connect the PC (Gigabit) to the switch, and the switch to the router (10/100). Didn't work out so good. I've been getting ping timeouts and all sorts of horrors with the switch connected. It's not the cables as I've tried the cat5e cable straight to the router without any problems... it's only when the switch is connected to the loop that I get this problem. My next step is to simply connect a laptop to the switch and my main server and see if the switch itself is knackered. But before I do that (my laptop is broken, and I have to borrow one) anyone have any ideas as to why the switch wont work with the router?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Kernel wrote: »
    ...connected to the loop...

You aren't creating a network loop by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Just a quick note as Im under pressure to get to a call out.

There is no real point in using a 10/100/1000 switch as to be honest unless you've done your network perfectly, used high quality kit, followed all the rules you will not get 1000mb out of that cat5e. 1GB is cat5e's maximun speed if wired perfectly. Realistically 100mb is going to be the usual needed. Ive streamed HD video from a 16mp IP CCTV camera over cat 5e, that requires a real 80mb per second transfer and it did it, but just about...

Can you tell me what you'll mainly be using the network for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

kerbdog wrote: »
    You aren't creating a network loop by any chance?

Uhhmmm.. maybe... :o I'm a networking novice. I've connected the server to the switch, and the switch to the router, since the switch is supposed to simply allow any traffic through, is it not? The router obviously handles DHCP, so will give my server an address via the switch, and any other devices or pcs connected in other rooms. Then my plan is to run the cat5e cable to two different rooms in the house via the switch, giving me access to the server (or NAS when I eventually get the cash). Does that sound doable?
    FusionNet wrote:
    Just a quick note as Im under pressure to get to a call out.

There is no real point in using a 10/100/1000 switch as to be honest unless you've done your network perfectly, used high quality kit, followed all the rules you will not get 1000mb out of that cat5e. 1GB is cat5e's maximun speed if wired perfectly. Realistically 100mb is going to be the usual needed. Ive streamed HD video from a 16mp IP CCTV camera over cat 5e, that requires a real 80mb per second transfer and it did it, but just about...

Can you tell me what you'll mainly be using the network for?

I was going to buy cat 6, but was told cat 5e would work for gigabit, doh. Well, I guess 100mbit should do me. If I used the 100mbit ports on my router, using cat5e would I get 100mbit speeds? Anyway the network will be used to stream content including hi-def video and for some file transferring, not heavy usage by any means. The 100mbit should work for streaming hi-def video, right?

Thanks for the replies lads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Either 1000 mbps works on Cat5e, or it doesn't. I've never had issues using Cat 5e when it's installed properly. It just doesn't allow for futureproofing. Also, computers and routers/switches can be bottlenecks on transfer speed (as you've noticed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

switch to the router

What cable you using between the two ? Straight threw should be the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭accensi0n

msg11 wrote: »
    switch to the router

What cable you using between the two ? Straight threw should be the one.

No it shouldn't. :)

You'll usually connect a switch to a SOHO router using one of the LAN (switch) ports on the router. So you should use a crossover cable as its, switch to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭fiacha

Possible that you have a speed / duplex mismatch between the Routers LAN interface and the Switch port ?.
    Manually set the speed / duplex on the switch to 100/Full and see how you get on.

Advertisement