Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Clarke returns to Ireland

Options
  • 24-09-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/85269/default.aspx
    Marty says goodbye

After three wonderful years in Australia with Collingwood, I have decided to return to Ireland. From the very first day Derek Hine (National Recruiting Manager) came to my house on the north east coast of Ireland, in his black and white Magpie jacket, I knew that Collingwood was a special organisation.

After a four week trial at the Lexus Centre in July 2006, I decided to come and try and be part of the club’s huge tradition. The high-tech facilities, daily training, the chance to be professional, and the club’s home ground all represented utter quality. But the deciding factor in my decision to leave friends, family, the Gaelic Athletic Association and life in Ireland behind was the quality of the people who made up the heart of the club.

Everyone from Eddie McGuire, Mick Malthouse and Nathan Buckley to the youngest one-eyed supporter on the street treated me with a lot of respect. The fact that such a huge organisation could feel so personal was hard to believe and a credit to the club.

The challenges I faced when I first came over were huge. With the help of fitness and development coaches my progress was fast tracked and I was able to play my first game of AFL in Round 12, 2007. I pulled on the famous black and white stripes a further 45 times and I am proud of how I represented the club on each occasion. Playing with Collingwood helped me truly understand the beauty of being part of team sport.

My decision to return home was not an easy one. But I simply miss my home and the people close to me too much. I also have a burning desire to be a teacher and I want to start that stage of my life as soon as possible.

I am also looking forward to playing Gaelic football again. I strongly believe my best moments of my sporting life are ahead of me and at this stage and I want to show them on the GAA stage.

The latter stages of this year were forgettable ones on a football level. I suppose the uncertainty in my mind didn’t help.

I hope I provided the fans with some good memories and I would like to thank you for all your support.

I would like to thank Derek Hine and his wonderful family for their love and support over the past three years. I would like to thank all the coaching staff who each contributed to my development in no small way. All the backroom staff and volunteers who made the biggest sporting club in Australia seem like my local team in County Down.

And finally I’d like to thank all my teammates. The memories of running out to play with you in big games will remain with me for a long time. I have no doubt that I will be reading about a Premiership success in the very close future.

Led by a great coach and a magnificent captain I wish you boys and the whole club every happiness in the future.
    Thank you Collingwood.

Slan Go Foill,

Marty C.

Not too surprising really. Struggled badly to have any impact at the Pies this year and wasn't used much at all during the seconf half of the season.

I'd imagine it's a boost for the GAA to have him back though.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

not sure if the decision was as a result of not being played, or if him not being played was a result of poor form due to thinking of heading home. Pity he didnt stay on for a few years, he really was one of the better recruits. But more to life than earning lots of money.

Advertisement