Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Doing my test in an automatic

Options
  • 24-09-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether there is any difference in the actual test if you take it in an automatic? I know about restrictions driving a manual etc but I own an automatic so that is what I want to take my test in.
    I would really appreciate any advice you can offer :)
    Marie

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's not much of a difference between the two. The main difference is that there is no Hill Start for the automatic test, as far as i know everything else remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

Oh is there really no hillstart....I did wonder as well there is no use of the clutch by the driver.
    Thank you for getting back to me :)
    Marie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Marie - make sure you leave the car in 'Drive' during the test (except for reversing manoeuvre of course).

Some instructors have been telling students to put it into Neutral when stopped at lights but this is not necessary.

Really??? I would have thought that I should put the car in neutral along with putting the handbrake on as you would any time you need to in a manual?
    OK now I am confused :confused:
    Marie

Mcloke wrote: »
    Really??? I would have thought that I should put the car in neutral along with putting the handbrake on as you would any time you need to in a manual?
    OK now I am confused :confused:
    Marie
    An automatic is designed to be left in Drive. Continually shifting to Neutral or Park is unnecessary and places undue wear on the gearbox and transmission. It also defeats the whole purpose of having an automatic.

• Advertisement

Well see it never goes into neutral normally :) but I thought in a test they would expect you to put in neutral!
    Thanks,
    Marie

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Trishis

Hiya, I did a test in an automatic and I had to do a hill start...move for just checking if you check your blind spot and your ability to move out quickly in traffic etc etc...good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

I was given some stern advice from my driving instructor about automatics.

a) Don't use them. (Not much help to you.)
    b) Leave it in drive and put the handbrake on when you stop. (If you use the footbrake and you're rear-ended, you'll take off.)
    c) If you have a very long wait, use neutral.
    d) Only use Park when you're parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I took my test in an automatic several years ago, unless things have changed there is a hill start, but in an automatic it's no different to any other kind of start. Brake, put down handbrake, change into drive and go. Dont forget to MAKE IT VERY OBVIOUS YOU ARE CHECKING YOUR MIRRORS.

When stopped at a light or stop sign, always leave in drive and use the footbrake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

When stopped at a light or stop sign, always leave in drive and use the footbrake.

Handbrake if it's longer than a few seconds - if you're rear-ended your foot will come off the pedal and the creep will thrust the car forwards.

• Advertisement

Brake, put down handbrake, change into drive and go
    Foot on brake, shift to Drive and then release parking brake! ;)
    Dont forget to MAKE IT VERY OBVIOUS YOU ARE CHECKING YOUR MIRRORS.
    Checking blindspot blind spot by looking over your shoulder would be more important if pulling out from the edge of the road.

Thanks for all your replies :) with many things in life it seems there is some confusion out there.

I did think you would do a hill start (as such) if only because it is part of the test route.

Thanks Again :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks for all your replies :) with many things in life it seems there is some confusion out there.

I did think you would do a hill start (as such) if only because it is part of the test route.

Thanks Again :)

It shouldn't make a difference if there is a "hill start", so long as you know to check your blind spot before moving from a kerb, it's no big deal in an automatic.

Thank you all for your replies...I am starting some lessons (again) this week and have found a non motorway route home :)
    Marie

Wishbone Ash I have a couple of questions for you (others feel free to input).

Yesterday on the hill on the lane up to our house, I stopped to get the post. I then needed to do a hillstart as such. However, when I took my foot off the break to move on to the accelerator, the car rolled back as the clutch did not engage in time. In this scenario (a very steep hill) should I put my foot on the accelerator before releasing the handbreak...I did this yesterday and it worked just fine.

When I come to a stop light, I know you must stop or you will get a grade three. My memory from my previous lessons (in a manual) was that I engaged the handbreak and put the car in neutral before going into first and taking off the handbreak when it was safe to go. In an automatic do I need to engage the handbreak, place the car in neutral etc at a stop sign? My head tells me I should but I am a little confused on the matter. I don't want the tester to think I didn't stop as that is an automatic fail!

I appreciate any feedback you can give me :)
    Marie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Yesterday on the hill on the lane up to our house, I stopped to get the post. I then needed to do a hillstart as such. However, when I took my foot off the break to move on to the accelerator, the car rolled back as the clutch did not engage in time. In this scenario (a very steep hill) should I put my foot on the accelerator before releasing the handbreak...I did this yesterday and it worked just fine.

A see saw motion should help. A small application of accelerator as you gently release the hand brake. Should stop the roll.
    When I come to a stop light, I know you must stop or you will get a grade three. My memory from my previous lessons (in a manual) was that I engaged the handbreak and put the car in neutral before going into first and taking off the handbreak when it was safe to go. In an automatic do I need to engage the handbreak, place the car in neutral etc at a stop sign? My head tells me I should but I am a little confused on the matter. I don't want the tester to think I didn't stop as that is an automatic fail!

It depends where you are at the lights. First at the lights, stay in gear and ready to go. Handbrake if you wish. Second or further, neutral and handbrake. The logic is that if your first you want to move without delay i.e Fumbling to release the handbrake etc.

I don't know if its been mentioned, but if you do a test in an automatic you are not entitled to drive a manual. However, the reverse is not true. A test in a manual allows you to drive both. Not sure if you knew and sorry in advance if you did :)

Leave your automatic in Drive, dont put it into neutral at any stage. If you're stopped at lights, either keep your foot on the brake, or if you're going to be stopped for a prolonged period of time simply leave the car in D and pull up the handbrake. Automatics are designed to be left in Drive for the duration of a journey.

Wishbone Ash I have a couple of questions for you (others feel free to input).

The tendency to creep forward seems to differ from car to car. It quite strong in the BMW's and the Mercs don't tend to allow the vehicle to move backwards. As you have said yourself, apply some power to the accelerator before releasing the parking brake.
    Mcloke wrote:
    A STOP sign does indeed mean that you must come to a stop but, even in a manual, there is no need for neutral or parking brake. In many STOP junctions, you will have to stop at the sign/line but, due to poor visability, you will immediately have to move forward again to check for oncoming traffic before entering the junction/road ahead.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I don't know if its been mentioned, but if you do a test in an automatic you are not entitled to drive a manual. However, the reverse is not true. A test in a manual allows you to drive both. Not sure if you knew and sorry in advance if you did :)

Yes Ironclaw, I have heard it all before many times over :) I own an automatic intentionally and am happy to do my test in an automatic despite the restrictions etc etc....it is not like I cannot hire an automatic or buy another automatic in the future :) and I don't need driving to be "fun"...I need it to get me from A to B safely.

A STOP sign does indeed mean that you must come to a stop but, even in a manual, there is no need for neutral or parking brake. In many STOP junctions, you will have to stop at the sign/line but, due to poor visability, you will immediately have to move forward again to check for oncoming traffic before entering the junction/road ahead.

Thanks for your feedback....in this scenario...do I stop and count to three at the stop line (to show that I know it is a stop sign) and then creep forward and move on if it is safe to do so rather than needing to "stop" again once I can see? Just making sure I know what I should be doing :) and thanks again!

• Advertisement

do I stop and count to three at the stop line (to show that I know it is a stop sign) and then creep forward and move on if it is safe to do so rather than needing to "stop" again once I can see? Just making sure I know what I should be doing :) and thanks again!
    There is no need to pause. When any vehicle comes to a complete stop there is a very small jolt even when it's done gradually. The examiner will know if it has come to a complete stop.

Once you have stopped you can then move forward slowly to enhance visability (and stop again if required).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

I didnt think automatic roll back? mine doesnt anyways
    did my test in an automatic and had no hill start though i was told by a driving instructor to practice it for mirrors etc..
    dont over do the mirrirs though..know someone who was told he used his mirrors too much!! you cant win!

fifib wrote: »
    I didnt think automatic roll back? mine doesnt anyways
    did my test in an automatic and had no hill start though i was told by a driving instructor to practice it for mirrors etc..
    dont over do the mirrirs though..know someone who was told he used his mirrors too much!! you cant win!

Hi Fifib,
    Mine will roll back on steep hills if starting off from handbrake on and foot on the brake position...if I am moving on a hill no matter how slowly it does not roll back.
    Marie

Hi Fifib,
    Mine will roll back on steep hills if starting off from handbrake on and foot on the brake position...if I am moving on a hill no matter how slowly it does not roll back.
    Marie

All automatics will roll back if the hill is steep enough, there's only a certain amount of force the car is exerting to roll forward. Solution: Apply handbrake, put car in Drive, gently accelerate and release handbrake at the same time.

Just to let people know I didn't have a hill start as such on my test...however, I was stopped in traffic on roads where I would have rolled back if I didn't manage my car correctly I would have rolled slightly so not sure if he didn't get me to do a hill start because I managed those scenarios fine or because I was in an automatic.
    My instructor said that sometimes they do a hill start and sometimes they decide not to with people in automatics :)

Advertisement