Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

scrappage for cars

Options
  • 24-09-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have a 97 Golf car for sale for 3 months now that no one seems to want even though its in very good order. I spent 1100 euro on it last year for nct etc so I was looking for 1500 or there abouts I thought that was fair. Am I totally out of touch? Does anyone know if the scrappage for cars still applies. I'm not in a position to buy a new car for trade in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

just did a quick search on cbg and dealers are selling golfs the same year for less/same money. Try lowering the price. If you ring some scrapyards they may give you a price but it will be very little. Sometimes you see ads in local papers for people who will buy any car you could give one of those a try.
    Unfortunatley just because you spent money last year doesn't mean you will get it back this year

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

I bought a '97 golf for €200 a year ago,it had big mileage but only failed the nct on rust,got an estimate for €4-500 to sort it out but never bothered,just keepin it for spare parts now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

I picked up a 96 Honda accord with two years test 88k miles for 550.

Paints rough and needs a clutch so 750 cant argue.

You would need to be sub 1000 to be worth a call in the current market at that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

oban wrote: »
    I have a 97 Golf car for sale for 3 months now that no one seems to want even though its in very good order. I spent 1100 euro on it last year for nct etc so I was looking for 1500 or there abouts I thought that was fair. Am I totally out of touch? Does anyone know if the scrappage for cars still applies. I'm not in a position to buy a new car for trade in.
    thats way over priced,thats why you still have it?try selling it for 500 and it will be gone.you can't add how much you've spent on it when your selling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

If you have a car valued 500e and you spend another 500e for it to get it trough NCT, it still does not change the value of the car, it is still 500e.

So that is the problem when you own a low value car, most likely any money you spend on it to fix the problems is money you will lose, so it is better to sell the car for 200e and let the new owner fix it than spend 800e to fix the car and try to sell it for 1000e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement