Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature students with dependents

Options
  • 24-09-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,

I have previously posted a similar thread but still no joy.

Just wondering if there are any mature students on the board with children? If so how do the finances work out? Both my partner and myself will be back studying (hopefully) next year and with two children just wondering if this viable economically?

We have been out of the country for a while and so are unaware of the financial help available.

Any info would be most helpful.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Hi,

I don't have any children myself...but www.studentfinance.ie is an excellent source for information on grants, back to education allowance etc. also www.citizensinformation.ie/categories.

You should make an appointment with your community welfare officer and he/she should inform you as to what your entitled too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 booshboo

sillybird wrote: »
    Hi,

I don't have any children myself...but www.studentfinance.ie is an excellent source for information on grants, back to education allowance etc. also www.citizensinformation.ie/categories.

You should make an appointment with your community welfare officer and he/she should inform you as to what your entitled too.

Hi Sillybird,

Many thanks.

I shall check these sites out. Problem is we have been living in the UK for 3 years and can't return until after the October deadline for residency! Plus we are totally unsure of welfare payments in Ireland - can't make head nor tail of welfare.ie - so complicated!!!!! Even if we were entitled to the maintenance grant (may still be apparently), then we couldn't live on that alone.
    Do you know what the parents learning allowance is about by any chance? Is it an extra payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭athlone M

Hi booshboo
    I have two children and I too am hoping to return to college next year. I don't think there is such a thing as a parents learning allowance in Ireland but if you are on a social welfare for a period of 12 months or more you might be entitled to back to education allowance which is the equivalent to the unemployment benefit. You can also apply for a grant from your local authority if you haven't done a course in Ireland and received a grant for it in the past 5 years. Also you may be entitled to rent allowance and to creche fees but the citizens advice or social welfare will be better able to advise you. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

hiya i'm in college and have 1 child. thankfully i've applied for the grant and BTEA. which will pay for most of the child care. my daughter is in a non profit makin afterschool so the fee isn't too bad because i'm on social welare i get the afterschool at a reduced rate. so financially its ok

Advertisement