Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Failure? Small bulge in tyre sidewall?

Options
  • 24-09-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi All,
    My girlfriend has her NCT next week, i had a quick look at the tyres (about a year old). The thread is very good, but there is a slight bulge in the sidewall of one of the front tyres, other wise the tyre is perfect. They are low profile, prob due to a pothole.

Has anyone had a failure due to this or know if it would be a fail ?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Gings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd imagine that would be an automatic faiL. Eventually it will give way. I'd get they tyre changed to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Never mind the NCT cert ...this bulge could actually win you a Darwin award ...go for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

That's dangerous, change it before you get a blow out at high speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

Automatic fail I'm afraid, as it renders the unsafe they could decide on a class 2 fail which would mean the car couldn't be driven on the road until it was repaired (use the spare).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

peasant wrote: »
    Never mind the NCT cert ...this bulge could actually win you a Darwin award ...go for it :D

+1. The tyre is dangerouse and needs to be replaced. Whether it passes or fails the NCT is of no relevance to that. Your girlfriend could easily have a blowout as the tyre wall is not weakend.

This is the second such thread in the last couple of days regarding a damaged tyre being more of a concern for getting through the NCT than the safety aspect of driving around with a bulge or nail in it.

I don't know about anyone else but I find this scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Gings wrote: »
    Hi All,
    My girlfriend has her NCT next week, i had a quick look at the tyres

What kind of tyres do you have on your girlfriend?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bluefoam wrote: »
    What kind of tyres do you have on your girlfriend?
    Please don't post rubbish, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭maidhc

Gings wrote: »
    Any help/advice appreciated.

It depends on how you feel about your girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Heard this morning on a local radio station in Waterford that a woman had her nct done and it passed, but when she went to a tyre fitter a month latter they told her it needed replacing because of a split so went back to the nct and told her it would only fail if it was down to the carcass :confused::eek:.Says alot about the ncts.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

alot of damage could be done to a tyre in a month. A big pothole and you can have a flat in seconds. Hardly a reason to complain about the nct.

Bulge in the tyre is a fail and very dangerous get it replaced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

It was a cut not a flat, yes a puncture can happen to any tyre.She showed them the old tyre after it was replaced and they still said that it would pass unless it was down to the carcass. She was not complaining about the nct but about that the test might not be strict enough and might be a good idea to have it checked at a tyre fitter aswell.

Advertisement