Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on selling a car

Options
  • 24-09-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Hard times have hit so the car has to go.
    Anyhow I've someone coming to look at the car over the weekend.
    What should I do?

Especially in regards if the person gives the green light to buy the car. I've got the change of ownership docs here but how do I know his info is legit? Can I ask for some proof?

Is there anything I should look out for?

I'm aware it's on a weekend but I'm not around in the evenings so weekends are the only time I can arrange in the day for a viewing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭celica1994

theres a few things to keep in mind, dont give out any of your own personal information eg- when your at work, where you keep the keys to the car. keep in mind there are a few con artists out there. if the person wants a test drive make sure you or sumone else go in the car with them, never hand over the keys to anyone! and one of the biggest ones of all.. never hand over the cars registration book, they could do anything they wish with the car and it would still be in your name and might make you responsible for theyre actions, also.. make a copy of the car reg form after the person signs it, reason being.. they could drive through the m50 toll bridge 100 times and youll get the bill lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Some good advice there celica1994. Cheers. I wouldn't have thought of copying the reg doc. Still.. Should I ask for proof of address? just to be sure, to be sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A few years ago, a friend of mine advertised his car for sale on the net - a potential buyer got in touch to have a look at it. They arranged to meet, the "buyer" got into the car with my friend to take it for a test drive...

Then he pulled out a knife, told my mate to get out of the car & drove off into the distance.

They say "buyer beware", but in that case it was "seller beware".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

A few years ago, a friend of mine advertised his car for sale on the net - a potential buyer got in touch to have a look at it. They arranged to meet, the "buyer" got into the car with my friend to take it for a test drive...

Then he pulled out a knife, told my mate to get out of the car & drove off into the distance.

They say "buyer beware", but in that case it was "seller beware".

I choked a lil on my water while reading that.. scare storys. Bleh. All I can say is the seller does have good feedback and i've been doing some digging into it anyways.

I'm also aware of scams where they pay for the car, change of ownership etc only to rob the money later on (because its a weekend or evening). I've thought ahead on that one though.. Credit union :)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

If they buy don't fill up their name on the tax book until they have paid you. If they pay by check wait a day or two before sending it away in case it bounces. Also if they come looking at the car the evening is best that way any scraps/scratches won't be seen as the sun be down.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭celica1994

i just thought of sumthing i nearly got caught with myself before, if your viewing a car on a site and all the pictures are facing a wall etc they might be a scam due to the fact they dont want you seeing what area they live in. its prob a good idea to have sumone present with ya when ur selling the car for saftey.oh and make sure if they do test drive that they got a full licence and insurance cause if they damage ur car its tough luck

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

More tips:

When taking a potential buyer on a test drive don't hand them the keys to the car until you are both sitting in the car.

Also handy to have a mate with you when someone comes to view the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

I'll bump this as I'm thinking of selling my car.

I'm looking for a quick enough sale and was thinking of going to a dealer. I seen these two websites though,

http://www.cashforyourcar.ie/

http://www.webuycars4cash.eu

Has anyone had any dealings with either of these websites or are they a scam or is a dealer the best way to go for a quick sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Ourlad wrote: »
    I'll bump this as I'm thinking of selling my car.

I'm looking for a quick enough sale and was thinking of going to a dealer. I seen these two websites though,

http://www.cashforyourcar.ie/

http://www.webuycars4cash.eu

Has anyone had any dealings with either of these websites or are they a scam or is a dealer the best way to go for a quick sale?

Those companies will be giving you a fairly low price for your car so best bet imo of course is to research what prices similar cars like yours are going for on donedeal, take some nice pictures, include a detailed description of service history, NCT etc and price it below what the other cars are going for.

You should see it gone soon enough and get a better price for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

166man wrote: »
    Those companies will be giving you a fairly low price for your car so best bet imo of course is to research what prices similar cars like yours are going for on donedeal, take some nice pictures, include a detailed description of service history, NCT etc and price it below what the other cars are going for.

You should see it gone soon enough and get a better price for it. :)

I'll steer clear of them then. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

As above, it stands to reason if you think about it. The only way those guys have a valid business model is if they can buy cars at substantially below retail price.

So get a quote from those lads, then look at ads for similar cars to yours to get an idea of what you could get for it selling privately.

After that it is up to you which way you want to go. Decide whether you want the quick easy option that gets you less money or if you think it is worth your while going through the hassle of advertising it as a private sale.

Remember that in general the lower the price you advertise the car for the quicker it will sell. So there could be a middle ground where you can advertise the car for more money than the cash for cars guys will offer but still less than similar cars are being advertised for, thereby getting your aim of a quick sale but ending up with more money in your pocket as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

As above, it stands to reason if you think about it. The only way those guys have a valid business model is if they can buy cars at substantially below retail price.

So get a quote from those lads, then look at ads for similar cars to yours to get an idea of what you could get for it selling privately.

After that it is up to you which way you want to go. Decide whether you want the quick easy option that gets you less money or if you think it is worth your while going through the hassle of advertising it as a private sale.

Remember that in general the lower the price you advertise the car for the quicker it will sell. So there could be a middle ground where you can advertise the car for more money than the cash for cars guys will offer but still less than similar cars are being advertised for, thereby getting your aim of a quick sale but ending up with more money in your pocket as well.

+1 Yep this guy says it better than I do...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

Those cash for cars places are just out to get people who are desperate for the cash asap, what they will do is 1st give you an offer just under whats its worth then when you are happy to go ahead and they say they are about to write the cheque they say they have to many of those models at the min or that model dosnet sell so fast, then when they know the seller is on his knees they reduce the offer on the car by alot knowing full well these people will sell anyway!

Advertisement