Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to do a good Networking course

Options
  • 24-09-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I'm looking to start a Networking course (hoping to maybe get a late registration) dealing with server set up, maintenance, TCP/IP/ LAN config, security etc and was wondering if anyone could recommend a course?

I have a Bsc. Degree in Computer Applications and know my way around a pc. I've set up servers before and have a good understanding of security etc. So I'd like somethings hands on, maybe 2 evenings a week.

I found this one is Dorset college http://www.dorset-college.ie/Computing/courses/course_details/?rid=3&cid=33 that gives you a CISCO Certified Network Associate (CCNA®™) certification. Does anyone know if this is a good cert to help find a job? Or would a CompTIA cert be better?

Any help is much appreciated

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 amcdaniel

The CompTIA course is ok, covers a lot of things at a basic level and would be considered an entry level certification.
    The CCNA only discusses networking using CISCO switches but a lot of the policies that it dicusses are relevant to other manufacturers.
    I suppose the CCNA would be a more impressive cert to have on your CV. A few years ago a CCNA would practically guarentee you a job, but now employeers want you to have real world experience also - too many CCNA's don't fully understand what they are doing...

Not to throw you in a different direction but just to give you another avenue to explore, virtualisation is the big buzz at the moment, especially VMWare vSphere this would keep you more in the servers side of operations and would have many optional routes career wise. People who go down the cisco route tend to be pidgeon holed into networks forever....not that its a bad thing just that jobs are more limited due to the very specific nature of the roles.

Just something to consider before you jump in
    best of luck
    mc d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

amcdaniel, just to add to the point, I would say stuck in networks. CCNA and split you off in different directions. Secuirty, Wireless, Routing & Switch, Design and a few more.

Depends what your into at the end of the day. CCNA would be a good start, Give us a flavour of everything, and then move onto too stuff you enjoy.

Would have to agree on how you get trained on the CCNA, going threw the Academy Connection would be the best way of getting trained in threw a full time course. Way too much brain dumping going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

Thats excellent, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million lads.

Advertisement