Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin Hobb - The Dragon Keeper

Options
  • 24-09-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

Warning! Chance of Spoilers in this thread if you have not read her previous books, particularly the Liveship Trilogy

So anyone read the new Robin Hobb? Just finished it last night and thought it was excellent. It's definitely a strong start to the new series, although I thought it was a bit on the short side compared to her other books.

So anyone else read it so we can get a bit of discussion going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I read this and really enjoyed it, having said that, I've never been happy with
    the return of the dragons, they've always just annoyed me! I did however love getting to see Althea again with her little boy, and the return of Malta, who was a favourite character of mine. I thought the exploration of the bigotry within the Rain Wilds society was really interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve over the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I read this and really enjoyed it, having said that, I've never been happy with
    the return of the dragons, they've always just annoyed me! I did however love getting to see Althea again with her little boy, and the return of Malta, who was a favourite character of mine. I thought the exploration of the bigotry within the Rain Wilds society was really interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve over the trilogy.

My replies a bit long

I'm not gonna use spoiler tags as I said at the start to watch out if you haven't read the earlier books, and it's just handier not to use them.

Yeah it was nice to have her in it, even just for a second, to see that her and Brashen ended up with a happy ending. I always thought the end of Ship of Destiny was really rushed :( Was kinda disappointed in that sense.

I do like the dragons though. I think the dragons returning and repopulating would be a nice way to finish up the books set in that world. Not that I think it's getting stale but she has written 10 books in that world. If she's going to move on it'd be a nice way to end it I think, with the dragons and Elderling's coming back.

It's funny that you say you like Malta. I hated her for the first 2 books of Liveship! Thought she was a spoilt little b*tch :P
    It was only in the third one that I liked her, mainly cause she copped on after her adventure.

I'm definitely enjoying the exploration of the Rain Wilds and it's people though. It's great because it's fresh. She did SIx Duchies with the more steriotypical fantasy setting, then Liveship with the whole sea and piracy etc (which I wondered how interesting would be and was pleasantly surprised) and now has another new environment for a new story. The variation is great and I'm looking forward to the explanation of some of the previous mysteriousness around the Rain Wilds.

Advertisement