Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner legal bikes

Options
  • 24-09-2009 10:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Lot of threads about which bikes are and aren't learner legal, so here's a list I found listing which ones are learner legal. May be a few missing from the list, if anyone has one to add post it up and I'll stick it in this post.
    Honda
    Rebel 250
    GB250
    Steed 400
    CB400
    FT500
    XL500S
    XL500R
    BROS400
    GB400TT
    NV400C
    VRX400
    MAGNA250
    CB250RS
    CB250NH
    XLR250
    XLR250Degree
    XR250

Kawasaki
    KE175-D
    Z200-A
    Estrella 250
    EN400
    KL250-C
    Z250-A
    Z250-B
    Z250-C
    EL250-D/F
    KL250 D7
    KLX250-G
    ZZR250

Suzuki
    DR350S
    Intruder 400
    DR250S
    Desperado 400
    DR400S
    SP400
    SP370
    GS250T
    GSX250E
    GT200
    GT250E
    GZ125
    GZ250
    GOOSE250
    LS650F
    SB200
    LS400Savage
    LS400Tempter
    SX200
    VS400
    TS185ER
    TS250ER
    GN250
    DR350SE
    LS650P
    RV200

Yamaha
    DT175MX
    RD200DX
    RS200
    SRV250
    XS250SE
    XS250
    XT250
    SRX250
    Drag Star 400
    SRX400
    SR500
    SR250
    XV250
    XT350
    SDR200
    TT250
    Serow 225
    SR400
    SR500
    Tricker 250

And to clear up the confusion, it seems your bike must meet both power requirements, not one or the other.
    RSA wrote:
    The maximum power output cannot exceed 25kW or a power/weight ratio of 0.16kW per Kg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Yikes, how old is that list?

There are tons (well 2 anyway) in there that don't meet the PTW or the 25kw requirements nevermind both.

And there is no FR listing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

nereid wrote: »
    Yikes, how old is that list?

There are tons (well 2 anyway) in there that don't meet the PTW or the 25kw requirements nevermind both.

And there is no FR listing.

I'd says its old enough. Most bikes learners buy are older anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Originally Posted by RSA
    The maximum power output cannot exceed 25kW or a power/weight ratio of 0.16kW per Kg.

And to clear up the confusion, it seems your bike must meet both power requirements, not one or the other.

You're missing the the OR in the quote you posted. If they wanted both they would have used AND. It's not our fault that whoever in the government wrote the law doesn't understand English, but or doesn't mean both. It means A or B not A and B.

Just as an aside does anyone know where the power is measured? Is it at the crank or wheel?

Del2005 wrote: »
    You're missing the the OR in the quote you posted. If they wanted both they would have used AND. It's not our fault that whoever in the government wrote the law doesn't understand English, but or doesn't mean both. It means A or B not A and B.

Just as an aside does anyone know where the power is measured? Is it at the crank or wheel?

I think 'or' is correct in this case, as its preceeded by a negative, ie:

Bike cannot exceed 33bhp/25kW or a power/weight ratio of 0.16kW per Kg.
    Bike must be under 33bhp/25kW and a power/weight ratio of 0.16kW per Kg.

At least that's my understanding of it, I could be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭traco

Looking at my licence its less than and equal to symbol. The max power by that would be 25kW (33bhp) and then the second factor would be the criteria for very light bikes with less than 33bhp but would otherwise exceed the power to weight ratio.

Ratings are as per manufacturers technical specs for power and weight so forget loss in bhp with age, panniers or how much you weigh as its all clutching at straws.

From what I see most companies don't even recoginse the restrictions and apply the standard rates for that bike based on your personal details, age, licence, experience etc.

So I would recommend get several quotes for the bike you want forget the BHP weight stuff, buy it and pay for a certified restrictor (€200-€300) to be fitted so you are legal with the licensing requirements. Once you are legal that way then your insurance is valid.

Other options leave you exposed and not getting paid if you claim. Thats the approch I took anyway.

• Advertisement

Traco most companies will recognise factory installed restrictors, but you're right about aftermarket ones they won't make any difference to your quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Hey

Just wondering has any one been done for not having their bike restricted look to me that there are a lot of people riding around on bikes that aren’t

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

yogidc26 wrote: »
    Hey

Just wondering has any one been done for not having their bike restricted look to me that there are a lot of people riding around on bikes that aren’t

how can tell just from looking that a bike is restricted?

Hey

Most Gardai don't care whether your bike is restricted or not (within reason, don't be on a Fireblade :P), but there's a chance that the insurance company won't pay out / reclaim the costs from you in the case of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

so the trick is not to crash :P and you'll be fine. It just all a bit mad I'm on an ER5 its not restricted insurance company dont give a sh1t I asked them out right will the pay out the guy said yes. Will have to see?

• Advertisement

so the trick is not to crash :P and you'll be fine. It just all a bit mad I'm on an ER5 its not restricted insurance company dont give a sh1t I asked them out right will the pay out the guy said yes. Will have to see?

Pretty much. My bike puts out 53HP/39kW so I can't really talk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭traco

All the quotes I got were all over the place - none asked about restriction and when I asked one company they told me they treat them all as unrestricted.

I just shortlisted 2/3 models I liked, checked insurance costs and ended up buying a Fazer yesterday. I will get it restricted over the next week or two, need to gather the funds for the insurance and restrictor now so she is locked up in a warehouse at the moment.

I'd rather not use it unrestricted so I don't feel all depressed afterwards when it is limited. Can't miss it if you never had it.

traco wrote: »
    I'd rather not use it unrestricted so I don't feel all depressed afterwards when it is limited. Can't miss it if you never had it.

Good thinking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They have to pay out when you have insurance. But if you crash they are perfectly within their rights to come after you for all money paid out and it's only when sh!t happens that they may look at the bike and check for restrictions, as you are riding without a valid licence if it's unrestricted.

Advertisement