Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Frogs, Castlegregory...

Options
  • 24-09-2009 10:46am

...anyone else doing it?

Doing the Olympic as part of a relay. Understand it's really informal and all about the taking part, more so than other tris. Transition area seems a long way form the pier, but knowing the area there isn't a whole lot of room there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

...anyone else doing it?

Doing the Olympic as part of a relay. Understand it's really informal and all about the taking part, more so than other tris. Transition area seems a long way form the pier, but knowing the area there isn't a whole lot of room there.

Yep. Im doing the sprint for the first time this year since Im off to Barcelona next week for the Challenge event.

A bit of a tradition for me this one since a friend of mine lives at the bottom of the Conor pass. Its in its 3rd year and its gonna be a bumper from what Ive heard from the organiser - timing chips the lot ;). About 220 registered - not sure of the split between the two distances but Id imagine it'll be about 140 - 180 sprint and the rest oly.

Transition is right beside the the swim finish. Less than 100 metres anyhow.
    The swim should be very sheltered - the bike route should be very fast and the run is nice and flat. The scenery is a given.

Its pretty informal alright but if the weather's good its one of the best places to be. Theres a BBQ afterwards so it should be a nice way for many to finish off their season or be introduced to the sport before the autumn.

interested wrote: »
    timing chips the lot ;).

Rang the organiser a couple of weeks back and she stressed the non-competitive nature of the event, which suits me, but was kinda wondering were timing chips in or out. Were they used in previous years and are you being serious or ironic?!

Rang the organiser a couple of weeks back and she stressed the non-competitive nature of the event, which suits me, but was kinda wondering were timing chips in or out. Were they used in previous years and are you being serious or ironic?!

Its definitely geared up as a non-competitive race. Its entirely for charity and is designed to give people a taste of triathlon. All shapes and sizes take part on bike bling and high nellies.

There was no timing chips in previous years. From what I know the move to timing this year was to assist in opening the event up to larger numbers to provide greater benefits to the charity (both years up to date had about 60 or so people involved so it was possible to count competitors in and out of water and write down their times for the 3 legs as they called out their numbers).

You swimming, biking or running ?

I pretty certain having timing chips will have little or no impact on the atmosphere at the event to be honest. If you've a sense of humour and dont take things too seriously its a very fun day out. There's always a competitive edge to these things by a few in the field but nothing too serious imho.

interested wrote: »
    You swimming, biking or running ?

I'm doing the running.

Personally I like timing chips just to see how I fare overall, but we're really in it for a chance to go drinking in the Green Room! Grandfather was from the Maharees and have cousins there. Our swimmer would be pretty strong, I would be midtable (only took up running this year but trained regularly over recent months and this is our third tri), and the cyclist is a novice. But all seasoned drinkers...maybe that's why we're midtable...

Staying down there now, bnb in the Maharees, along with about 10 others from South Kerry that I know.

• Advertisement

Staying down there now, bnb in the Maharees, along with about 10 others from South Kerry that I know.

Its shaping up nicely alright.
    Briefings emailed out at this stage and the weather doesnt look too bad based on the forecasts. Heading down early in the morning from the east coast to avoid the traffic.

Look down while you're swimming.

You might see my great grandfathers house!

A lot of the Maharees is very sandy and they have lost huge areas of land to the tide. Including the ancestral home.

Look down while you're swimming.

You might see my great grandfathers house!

A lot of the Maharees is very sandy and they have lost huge areas of land to the tide. Including the ancestral home.

wasnt in there too long to appreciate the underwater views ;) Great weather to match the location and savage numbers this year. Organisation was top notch especially liked the complimentary towel in the goodie bag which was a first.

Id imagine the green room was pretty busy saturday night

Really enjoyed that. Great weather for it. Cyclist was a bit slow, and think I only ran 9.2km as marshals directed us to Kilshannig at the Grotto when I thought we were supposed to run a bit beyond it, but wasn't that fussed tbh. Enjoyed the run, lovely and flat yet still varied enough to keep it interesting. Ate at Spillanes, went to the barbecue for a couple of hours and then went back to Spillanes for the fight, and then on to the Green Room, which was very quiet by the time we landed in there. Stayed in Jamie Knox's which was very handy. A great day.

Advertisement