Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW garages up north taking trade ins

Options
  • 24-09-2009 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Are any of the BMW garages up north taking trade ins of southern cars and doing all the paper work to allow you drive the new car out on southern plates??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

On the remote chance a garage will take a Southern tradein, the price they would offer would likely be insultingly low. Sell it privately and buy for cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

What they were doing was taking the details of your sounthern trade-in and then ringing up garages in the South to see if they'd buy them....cheeky gits. I'm sure they got told to piss off a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

furtzy wrote: »
    What they were doing was taking the details of your sounthern trade-in and then ringing up garages in the South to see if they'd buy them....cheeky gits. I'm sure they got told to piss off a lot

All garages do that, not just the northern ones, garages buy and sell between themselves depending on what their customers want(ie you ring a garage looking for a BMW 325 sport salesman will tell you he has one coming in next week and he'll ring you when it arrives when you hang up he'll ring around to see who has one in stock ready to go). Its common for northern garages to take southern trade ins and give good prices, I'm looking for recommendations for garages that people have dealt with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

A million Billion monies says you'll buy a a car down here from a Southern BMW dealer cheaper now anyway......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

All garages do that, not just the northern ones, garages buy and sell between themselves depending on what their customers want(ie you ring a garage looking for a BMW 325 sport salesman will tell you he has one coming in next week and he'll ring you when it arrives when you hang up he'll ring around to see who has one in stock ready to go). Its common for northern garages to take southern trade ins and give good prices, I'm looking for recommendations for garages that people have dealt with

Just pointing out how the northern garages deal with proposed southern trade-ins and how they derive their price. Have a cousin who works in Hursts in Belfast who pointed this out to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

As far as I know, some of the northern garages opened down here to sell southern reg cars they took as trade ins.

Think east coast cars in Dundalk is affiliated with hursts?

Most of them probaby end up sold to trade or in auctions.
    On the remote chance a garage will take a Southern tradein, the price they would offer would likely be insultingly low.
    So they have at least one thing in common with the dealers down here then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

As cars are far cheaper up north it's only common sense that the trade in value of your current car will be far lower than down south.

I say try to sell your car privately for just a few quid less than the going rate of a dealership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

celticbest wrote: »
    As cars are far cheaper up north it's only common sense that the trade in value of your current car will be far lower than down south.

sheep_1.jpg :D

Thats it ....FAAAAR cheaper Up North ;)....I thought people had forgotten that line.

Advertisement