Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

should I change??

Options
  • 24-09-2009 8:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just a quick query to get a few opinions.

My car (03 Mondeo 1.8l Zetec Petrol, 125000 miles) got sick yesterday and cost the guts of €900 to get sorted. the coil pack was gone and it needed a service anyway, so i'm not too bothered about the cost. While i was at the ford garage i got chatting to the lads in service and mentioned that i might be thinking of changing, cos if that's an indication of how much the car is gonna start costing to keep running, then replacement might be the cheaper option.

I'd prefer not to change for a while yet though as i'm just after buying a house, and want to get that fully decorated/sorted first.

However, the service lads called over one of the sales guys who brought me over to the sales floor, where he has a brand new silver 1.8tdci mondeo with bluetooth..... and told me he'd give me 7.1k for my own. Now 7.1k for a 6 year old car with 125k miles on it sounds like an AWFUL lot to me.... or am i just totally undervaluing my car in a trade in situation against another mondeo?

Before anyone comes along telling me i'm mad to go for a mondeo, i should go for avensis/passat/insignia etc, don't just tell me i'm mad..... give me an indication of how much i'd get for trade in against one of them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

They are discounting the price of the new one. Thats why it looks like a bargain. They are adding that discount onto your trade in and quoting you the original rrp of the new Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

What you could do is just phone another dealer and see what they'd give you on your own car. Tell them you're interested in a new mondeo and what you have to trade in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

EPM wrote: »
    They are discounting the price of the new one. Thats why it looks like a bargain. They are adding that discount onto your trade in and quoting you the original rrp of the new Mondeo.

So it's pretty much a standard price, not necessarily a bargain at all?
    Forgive my dumbness please :D !!!

Danny Buoy wrote:
    What you could do is just phone another dealer and see what they'd give you on your own car. Tell them you're interested in a new mondeo and what you have to trade in.

Tried that, no one will give a price without seeing it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

gatecrash wrote: »
    So it's pretty much a standard price, not necessarily a bargain at all?
    Forgive my dumbness please :D !!!
    As EPM says you're essentially being offered a discount on the list price of the car as part of your trade in value. In reality that €7.1k could be €3.1k trade in and €4k discount off the list price of the new Mondeo. If I walked in off the street without a trade in I would probably be able to negotiate the same discount without too much difficulty.

People seem to get too caught up in the 'trade in' value of their exsiting car. What's matters is the 'trade up' cost you'll have to pay to get the new car and whether that represents value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

First of all is you bum not sore enough after paying them 900 euro for a coil pack and a service? Have you a breakdown of the bill?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Kafer wrote: »
    First of all is you bum not sore enough after paying them 900 euro for a coil pack and a service? Have you a breakdown of the bill?

Bum is sore, but i wasn't anally surprise sexed!! :)

I have the bill breakdown, it was done in a Ford garage. The front brakes needed changing, the service was the annual major service. I get the car done at least twice a year, would prefer to have her serviced and well manitained than not, ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

gatecrash wrote: »
    Bum is sore, but i wasn't anally surprise sexed!! :)

I have the bill breakdown, it was done in a Ford garage. The front brakes needed changing, the service was the annual major service. I get the car done at least twice a year, would prefer to have her serviced and well manitained than not, ya know?

Firstly there's no indication that the car is going to start costing you a lot of money. Thats mad money for what was done, even paying decent rates at a good indy you'd be looking at half of that amount.

I wouldn't believe the "oh its going to cost you a lot of money to keep that going".... Wait a year, get your house sorted, then see how you feel.....

Advertisement