Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My site needs an overhaul - Help teach me how to fish :)

Options
  • 23-09-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I want to give the website and ol lick of paint to make things work better and I was wondering if you could give me a few suggestions on what to look up, if things will work together etc..

the site is www.consoledoc.com and before anyone says i know there is quite a few punctuation mistakes there, if they were my biggest concern I would be quite happy! :pac:

Its quite plain but im quite happy with the CSS template I have, again its not high on priority list of things that need changing.

Ok lets start with the home page, I would like to add a CMS, which possibly more than one person can contribute to (but it wont be the public, just 3 or 4 people I know). I would possibly like a comments section on each "story" but not 100% necessary

The next question i have is the guides, take this page for example. Again I would like for people to be able to comment on each one, I would also like people to be able to rate them. Is this going down the CMS route too?

Can anyone recommend anything to do the above?

Really appreciate in advance any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jimmybob

I think you should use wordpress for this website. You will probably have to start from scratch again but it would be worth it and it wouldn't take that long to get it up and running. Some hosting companies provide an automatic installation. It has everything you would need.
    Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Hosting companies provide an automatic installation for applications like Wordpress, b2evolution, Drupal, Soholaunch, Moodle, Joomla, Coranto and many more via installatron or fantastico.

If you do decide to do what the jimmybob said then it would be easier to choose from one of the above web applications to help you get started quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fcolor

There is a CMS called MODx and I highly recommend it. However you'll need some experience with PHP, CSS and with coding in general to take full control of your website if it is based on MODx. For a website like yours b2evolution and WordPress would work fine.

Advertisement