Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graveyard opposite The Spawell

Options
  • 23-09-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the name of the graveyard opposite The Spawell in Templeogue, it has the ruins of an old church in the grounds. the graveyard is fairly small and has around 100-150 graves in it .

its been bugging me the last while to find out the name of it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

byrner88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the graveyard opposite The Spawell in Templeogue, it has the ruins of an old church in the grounds. the graveyard is fairly small and has around 100-150 graves in it .

its been bugging me the last while to find out the name of it.

Ring Dublin City Council or call into them some day, they'll know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

It's just called Templeoue Cemetery. It's closed off years now. i only know that the last person to be buried in it was the local parish priest from St. Judes down the road and that would be about 18 years ago now. don't know if the rumors were true or not but when i was growing up i was told that a lot of the houses in the vicinity (Rossmore) were built over some of the older graves when the area was being formed and it led down to the primary school ( Bishop Shanahans/Galvins) even.

Here's something of interest from a website ( South Dublin County History) on Templeogue's history
    On the other side of the Spawell roundabout at the junction of Wellington Lane is the old burial ground of Templeogue containing the remains of a medieval church. This is the site of an early monastery which gave its name to the townland. A list of saints in the Book of Lecan includes Molcae tigi Molocal and in documents of the thirteenth century the name is written Tachmelog (St. Melog's house or church).

No part of the church can be dated to the time of the original monastery but part of it may be earlier than the Norman Invasion. The church was reported in 1615 to be utterly in ruin.The building measures externally 17.68 x 5.72 metres. It was formerly much overgrown with ivy but has been in recent years cleared of ivy and repaired. The east gable is complete and contains a late splayed window. The north wall is about 50 cm high, uniform, and with no indication of a door opening. The south wall has a distinct kink about half way along with a buttress outside. The western end of this wall is about 3 m high. The west wall has a doorway about midway with steps leading up to it. This wall is about 1 metre high, but has a buttress built against it nearly 5 metres high which must have been erected before the wall fell. It is not at all certain that this doorway was original but a doorway in such a position would indicate an early date for this part of the church. There are three early cross-inscribed slabs in the burial ground, one of which is deeply sunk within the church.

Hope that's of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

gidget wrote: »
    It's just called Templeoue Cemetery. It's closed off years now. i only know that the last person to be buried in it was the local parish priest from St. Judes down the road and that would be about 18 years ago now. don't know if the rumors were true or not but when i was growing up i was told that a lot of the houses in the vicinity (Rossmore) were built over some of the older graves when the area was being formed and it led down to the primary school ( Bishop Shanahans/Galvins) even.

Here's something of interest from a website ( South Dublin County History) on Templeogue's history

Hope that's of some help.

thanks for that . i live in nearby greenhills and have never known the name of it . thats an interesting read . im not sure myself of that rumor, i've never heard of it , but still it might be true or not. thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

<BUMP>

Sorry to bump a very old thread, but I'm pretty sure I saw an exhumation happening at this cemetery this morning! How strange, anyone know what the story is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

<BUMP>

Sorry to bump a very old thread, but I'm pretty sure I saw an exhumation happening at this cemetery this morning! How strange, anyone know what the story is?
    What makes you think it was an exhumation? Are you sure it wasn't a burial?

I also realize the original post is old but as far as I know there was a burial there as recently as Dec 2015 although I'd imagine it was in an old family plot.
    I must pass that place a dozen times a month and have never checked the place out.

• Advertisement

Sundew wrote: »
    What makes you think it was an exhumation? Are you sure it wasn't a burial?

I also realize the original post is old but as far as I know there was a burial there as recently as Dec 2015 although I'd imagine it was in an old family plot.
    I must pass that place a dozen times a month and have never checked the place out.

There was a number of cars parked at the gates, one of them marked "private ambulance" There was a white crime scene style tent over a grave and a person in a forensics white suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There was a number of cars parked at the gates, one of them marked "private ambulance" There was a white crime scene style tent over a grave and a person in a forensics white suit.

Yeah, that's probably not a burial :D

Maybe they were filming for something?

Didn't look to be any film vans, lighting etc....It was about 8.30am yesterday.
    I am so intrigued!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Didn't look to be any film vans, lighting etc....It was about 8.30am yesterday.
    I am so intrigued!!

Were there any Gardai present? If not it may have been the moving of a persons remains to another grave elsewhere. Although it is quite unusual it does sometimes happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Suspected buried arms cache on the strength of a confidential phone call, according to a friend in the know.

Don't shoot the messenger (no pun intended)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Suspected buried arms cache on the strength of a confidential phone call, according to a friend in the know.

Don't shoot the messenger (no pun intended)

Ah there was a lad from up the road in the S.C.C today...wonder was this something to do with him. I was actually hoping it might be something like an old death being re- investigated!

Thanks!

Advertisement