Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Did I get penalty points?! Please help

Options
  • 23-09-2009 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I was on my way to work this evening and caught doing 129km on 100km stretch. The guard had one of those handheld things and pulled me over.

After having a really bad day when he started questioning me I started crying uncontrollably! He asked my address and said the speed I was going was dangerous and when I didnt have my license in the car he told me I would have to produce it at a guarda station within 10 days and asked me which one I would go to.

But then his mobile rang and he started talking and ushered me go on and so I left but I have no idea if im getting fined and getting 2 penalty points or whether he was saying just forget it be on your way. I know he said I'd have to show my license and he has my name and address so will i get the confirmation in the post?? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Expect a letter in the post.

Make sure you bring you driving licence to the nominated station. They normally ask for insurance, tax & NCT to also be produced, so no harm in bringing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 evilpaperbag

So I will definitely get the 2 penalty points then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Did you get to tell him what station you want to produce in?
    As said above, produce all your details to be safe in your local staion, If your like me and live between two stations then produce in both!;)

You could get lucky and he'll just forget about it but dont hold your breath.
    To be honest, Go produce and just forget about it untill/if you get a letter in the door.
    Oh and slow down.:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

You seem really worried.

Don't be, 2 points mean nothing. Insurance companies aren't bothered unless you have 6+ points. Take this as a lesson learned and slow yourself down a bit :)

I had 6 and my Insurance company didn't give a toss, they just told me not to get any more

I know I think it is just shock. Im not normally that stupid I swear. No excuse but I was late for work and after awful day I just broke down. If he had just told me I have the points then I'd just get on with it but I am a worrier and this will be running through my mind for days. Just dont want anything on my license :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I know I think it is just shock. Im not normally that stupid I swear. No excuse but I was late for work and after awful day I just broke down. If he had just told me I have the points then I'd just get on with it but I am a worrier and this will be running through my mind for days. Just dont want anything on my license :(

You still have a clean license. A clean license refers to endorsements which go on after certain convictions and not fixed penalties

I would take it that you are getting the fine. If you hear nothing in a few weeks then forget about it. Seriously don't worry and just take it as a lesson learned

Trust me I'll be driving like an old granny from now on. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Oh christ don't go that far! Last thing we need is another granny driver on the roads.

No no im sticking with the granny driving. You can overtake me and get the penalty points if you dont like it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

No you wont. What will happen is you will drive slowly for a while and slip back into the same thing again. Happens to me anyway.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Sure ya never know ya might be lucky if he has a heart...some of them MAY I believe ...Im assuming youre female,which possibly helps also in this situation.Was it a fairly straight/safe stretch of road ?Anyway dont drive like granny...I think all any sane,normal person can do is TRY and stick to within 10kmh of the limit although its not always easy ...any slower would surely result in serious mental damage,falling asleep or maybe a 'Falling Down' type incident .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eREiQhBDIk

...not to mention spending hours extra every month in the car...The shock will pass dont worry ...try not to dwell on what you could buy with the 80 euro...you can get at least 4 points before the insurance companies care ...
    Anyway I hope youre lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

OP did the Garda ask you for your name? Only address mentioned in post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 asterix

Funny, I was dealing with a related issue today.
    First off, there is a very good chance you will at least get done for speeding. I think what happens is that the garda inputs your details into the device that recorded the speed and a remote computer then generates a fixed charge penalty notice which is sent by ordinary post to your address. If you pay within 28 days, it costs a certain amount. If you wait 56 days, it costs more again. If you don't pay within the 56 days (or don't fill out the accompanying form correctly and the time has elapsed), you can expect a summons to go to court.
    If you pay the FCP, yes you will get 2 penalty points. But if you don't pay and wait for a summons to go to court, you risk getting a conviction, a higher fine and 4 penalty points. So it's a no-brainer to pay the FCP when it arrives in the post. Bear in mind that 2 points is not a conviction, is not recorded against your licence in the same way as a court endorsement is and, frankly, isn't that big a deal unless you rack up, say 6+ points (12 points in 3 years being the point at which your licence is suspended). Indeed the 2 points are taken off the relevant register altogether after 3 years passes.
    I got 2 points for speeding at least 2 years ago (may even be 3, in which case they're gone off my record) and nothing else since.
    The issue I had today was that I recalled yesterday that I was stopped driving in a bus lane at the beginning of the year and had my details taken. But I never received a FCP notice. I was worried that it had gone astray in the post and that the next thing I would get would be a summons. I didn't fancy a first criminal conviction for driving in a bus lane so I had to work out whether one had ever been sent out.
    I discovered that the answer lies with the Garda Fixed Penalty Notice Office: lo-call 1890304060. The helpful lady on the end of the line said nothing came up against my name and reg number so I'm guessing the relevant garda just never bothered processing the incident. If you're lucky, that might happen to you too.
    Either way, if you don't get a FCP notice in the coming months and you are still fretting about it, ring the number above and they should be able to help you.
    In relation to production of docs, you don't indicate whether you got a chance to give the name of a garda station. If you did, go to it within 10 days. Even if you didn't, better to go to your local garda station and ask them for their advice as to what you should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Onkle wrote: »
    You seem really worried.

Don't be, 2 points mean nothing. Insurance companies aren't bothered unless you have 6+ points. Take this as a lesson learned and slow yourself down a bit :)

I had 6 and my Insurance company didn't give a toss, they just told me not to get any more

Who would that insurance company be ?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DexterT

I was stopped on a straight stretch of road, now I was doing at least 120km's in a 100. It was a strange one the guard was cool looked at my licence and told me i'd get 2 points but he didn't take details that I could see, so i've heard nothing as yet and that was on the 1st of June so don't know fingers crossed.

D.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

DexterT wrote: »
    I was stopped on a straight stretch of road, now I was doing at least 120km's in a 100. It was a strange one the guard was cool looked at my licence and told me i'd get 2 points but he didn't take details that I could see, so i've heard nothing as yet and that was on the 1st of June so don't know fingers crossed.

D.

Little chance of getting off unfortunately.

Advertisement