Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail email address visible when I use Google search

Options
  • 22-09-2009 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi

I just made a new gmail account and when i log onto gmail, i get my email address written on the top right hand corner of a webpage using google search. Does that mean other people can see my username?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

no its for your eyes only as far as i'm aware. been on gmail for ages, tis all good really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

no its for your eyes only as far as i'm aware. been on gmail for ages, tis all good really..

So no one else can see my gmail address when i visit a website? what proof do you have of this?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

well i cant see it now.

its your account. when you logout, its gone.

well i cant see it now.

its your account. when you logout, its gone.

but when your logged in and you visit sites *ahem* can the website owners see your gmail address? i ask cos my account has my full name in it-i use it for work and personal stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gmail is owned by Google.

When you're in Gmail, your name appears.

When you're logged in on Gmail, you're also logged into Google.

You see, the gmail address can be http://www.gmail.com/ or http://mail.google.com/mail/

So no, only you can see your name when you are logged into Google Gmail.

• Advertisement

Jeez talk about paranoia!! :)

It's nigh on impossible to prevent some companies from spamming you, even on gmail, but if your just browsing or stumbling there is no way they can get your address to the best of my knowledge. When you turn off your computer that's it. I'm sure you could contact the gmail crew to get confirmation. It's only when you sign up to sites, or purchase from them do you reveal your address. I'd recommend opening multi mail accounts on different providers and use them for various categories of interest you have.. Remember your IP address is attached to all of these anyway so you can always be traced if someone wants to go out of their way to do so. Or maybe this whole internet thing isn't for you after all!!

Jeez talk about paranoia!! :)

It's nigh on impossible to prevent some companies from spamming you, even on gmail, but if your just browsing or stumbling there is no way they can get your address to the best of my knowledge. When you turn off your computer that's it. I'm sure you could contact the gmail crew to get confirmation. It's only when you sign up to sites, or purchase from them do you reveal your address. I'd recommend opening multi mail accounts on different providers and use them for various categories of interest you have.. Remember your IP address is attached to all of these anyway so you can always be traced if someone wants to go out of their way to do so. Or maybe this whole internet thing isn't for you after all!!

So anytime i visit a site, download or view something my IP address can be seen by someone else? what does this prove/ how can they track me down?

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    So anytime i visit a site, download or view something my IP address can be seen by someone else? what does this prove/ how can they track me down?

It's nothing to worry about, just an identity number for your computer, we all have them. It can't physically be seen, only your provider will have it. They keep it for legal reasons. Go and enjoy all the sites you need to. Honestly man your making an issue of of nothing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Ohter sites need to see your IP address, its how the data is sent from their servers to your computer. At best all they will be able to tell from it is what country you are from and what ISP you are with. They won't have the ability to track you down to your doorstep.

Advertisement