Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Guided Walks

Options
  • 22-09-2009 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Free guided walks around the city for the month of September.
    Leaves from outside Brown Thomas on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday at 6.30pm.
    No need to book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

things must be bad if you need to be guided around limerick!!!:rolleyes:

Sign of the dark nights I guess

is it to stop people wondering down to the island after they visit King Johns Castle???

I remember when I was a "young fella" playing hand ball in the island and bus load of tourists pulled up taking pictures of the hand ball alley!!! I kid you not. Maybe the "guide" thing will put end to that... although don't think it happend again... that was 20 years ago now:eek:

But in fairness there is a bit of history in Limerick. If anyone has read up on the seige of Limerick it's very interesting for instance did you know the english took a vantage point from the fairgreen to fire cannon balls into the walls of limerick and that if it wasn't for the french lads whos were highly trained and skilled the seige wouldn't ave been much of a seige. It's very interesting. I wonder if we could get some stickies on th history of limerick???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

baza1976 wrote: »
    But in fairness there is a bit of history in Limerick. If anyone has read up on the seige of Limerick it's very interesting for instance did you know the english took a vantage point from the fairgreen to fire cannon balls into the walls of limerick and that if it wasn't for the french lads whos were highly trained and skilled the seige wouldn't ave been much of a seige. It's very interesting. I wonder if we could get some stickies on th history of limerick???
    That's true! I did a project of it in Primary school! The best spot was apparantly the hill where Norwood park now is! I vaguely remember something about a lady getting her head blown off in st Johns square and something else about ladies fighting with kitchen utensils..... Also, a great thing to get is the Old Limerick Journals- there's tonnes of history in Limerick!
    My fave is the poem "Drunken Thady and the bishops lady" , it's like seven pages long but a great read!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

baza1976 wrote: »
    things must be bad if you need to be guided around limerick!!!:rolleyes:

Sign of the dark nights I guess

is it to stop people wondering down to the island after they visit King Johns Castle???

They provide free guided tours for the benefit of people who don't know the city well and this is the reaction it gets :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

hi all, I'm not a native of Limerick but have been living here for past few years.I got a leaflet bout this into work last week - there are two different routes, I did one last Thursday and intend to do the other route next week.
    It lasted about an hour and a half- the two guides were great!I really enjoyed it- shame there weren't many people availing of it!I would highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Fair play to whoever came up with this idea.

I was in Cashel earlier this morning and there was a group of tourists doing something similar, and it really looked like they were enjoying it and getting a good impression of Cashel's history.

If this does the same for Limerick, then it can only be applauded.

They should expand the second tour slightly so that when they come down Mallow street to Shannon bridge, they should head out towards the docks and back around where the Clarion is, and give a talk on the history of the docks and places like Ranks, before crossing the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm disappointed that I didn't know about these earlier in the month. Sounds like a great idea, but don't think I'm going to be able to do it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

In this Monday also starts at 6.30 from the store? :) I'll do a few photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭georgem25

I think it will be on Monday - I did that route last Monday. I am doing the other route on Sunday so I will confirm then if its still going ahead. You just need to turn up a few minutes before 6.30 as they leave on time to ensure its finished before dark! :)

georgem25 wrote: »
    I think it will be on Monday - I did that route last Monday. I am doing the other route on Sunday so I will confirm then if its still going ahead. You just need to turn up a few minutes before 6.30 as they leave on time to ensure its finished before dark! :)

Thank you for your advice. I'll write how it was. :)

I went on the second route this evening. Its very interesting. Just 2 nights left before it finishes. It may start up again next year.

Enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

georgem25 wrote: »
    I went on the second route this evening. Its very interesting. Just 2 nights left before it finishes. It may start up again next year.

Enjoy :)
    Is that the Newtown Pery route?I went on the other one last week.I wont get a chance to do tonights one now.... :-(
    Was it any good?did many go?

Yes it was the Newtown Pery route. Very different to the other one. Mainly about the people that lived and built Limerick over the years, less talk of wars as on the other one.

There was about 8-10 people on it. About the same number went last Monday.

It was very nice and interesting. There were 11 people and a lot of knowledge. I was there because I found the information here.
    Thank You.:)

spa0319.jpg

spa0321l.jpg

spa0324.jpg

spa0326h.jpg

spa0328.jpg

spa0331u.jpg

spa0332.jpg

spa0334.jpg

spa0336.jpg

spa0338.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Was on the walk last evening. Well worth the trip and very informative and enjoyable. Great chance to see Cultural Limerick. Interestingly we travelled throughout various parts of the city and saw nothing but a positive and interesting view of Limerick.
    These tours should be extended and advertised in the local papers. Friendly and well informed guides were most helpful.;) Lovely way to pass an evening and see a totally different side to this historical city. The walk along clancy strand and the boardwalk is something that I haven't seen before and is a lovely amenity.;)

I agree. I hope that it will be more such tours.
    shawnee wrote: »
    ...... The walk along clancy strand and the boardwalk is something that I haven't seen before and is a lovely amenity.;)

For me, everything was new and interesting. :D

It was a very nice, magical, interesting evening.

Cheers. :)

Advertisement