Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Maths. D:

Options
  • 22-09-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Right so after another dreadful result in Maths, my god awful teacher decided that he recommend me to drop down to Ordinary Level.

Now I need Higher Level maths for the course that I want. And I'm getting grinds in the institute for it. But somehow, I just can't seem to grasp the subject that well. I know what to do but I don't know when to do it when it comes to exam questions. It just the interpretation of the questions themselves.

Anyone have any advice for me on improving my mathematics results? I know it's all about practice and all that jazz but for some reason it just does not click with me at the time being.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm doing grinds there too :)
    Honours maths is hard but you don't have to drop if you want to, stick with it and keep trying. Just keep revising things you've done and go over past paper questions till you're blue in the face!
    Read all of the questions carefully and try do your homework without looking at your notes. Ask your teacher for extra help aswel, i'm sure they'll be happy to help.
    Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Thanks!!

What subject are you doing there, by the way?

I also have Roantree's notes from there since my sister went there a few years ago. I tried looking through them but I just don't know where to start on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Maths because i might need it if i ever decide what to do in college!
    It's good so far, but i'm not really awake at 9am on a Saturday, i'm sure i'll get used to it :rolleyes:
    I think his notes are amazing. You can revise a subject, try questions on your own and they have step by step answers in them, perfect imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Ruski wrote: »
    Now I need Higher Level maths for the course that I want. And I'm getting grinds in the institute for it. But somehow, I just can't seem to grasp the subject that well. I know what to do but I don't know when to do it when it comes to exam questions. It just the interpretation of the questions themselves.

I was the EXACT same as you man, except I didn't get grinds. What year are you in? Give it a bit of time, stay cracking away at past exam questions, print out the solutions from examinations and put them in a folder and just keep at them. I was struggling like you, I never got more than a C in a maths exam in school but I got a B in the LC. Just give it what it needs, time and patience. Don't panic yet. Things began to click into place for me around Christmas time of the LC.

If you really are struggling after the mocks then maybe consider switching. Your course requires higher maths, not engineering in UL by any chance? I just bought my maths book today, 1st year college, it has 971 pages A4 hardback. It put the shivers into me I tell ya. And that is just Calculus! So if your course requires higher maths and you are still struggling, then maybe it is not for you. There's no institute or Roantree's notes in College. You would probably end up pulling your hair out and it is not worth it, trust me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 CosmicLove

Snapsies.
    :P

Still, I find the more qs you do the easier it gets. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I was the EXACT same as you man, except I didn't get grinds. What year are you in? Give it a bit of time, stay cracking away at past exam questions, print out the solutions from examinations and put them in a folder and just keep at them. I was struggling like you, I never got more than a C in a maths exam in school but I got a B in the LC. Just give it what it needs, time and patience. Don't panic yet. Things began to click into place for me around Christmas time of the LC.

If you really are struggling after the mocks then maybe consider switching. Your course requires higher maths, not engineering in UL by any chance? I just bought my maths book today, 1st year college, it has 971 pages A4 hardback. It put the shivers into me I tell ya. And that is just Calculus! So if your course requires higher maths and you are still struggling, then maybe it is not for you. There's no institute or Roantree's notes in College. You would probably end up pulling your hair out and it is not worth it, trust me!
    I can't pass an exam in Maths and I just started sixth year. I just started doing a few questions in the past papers with a small margin of success, but I'm sure I'll improve over the year's duration. It's not that I'm not interested in Maths, it's actually my favourite subject. I'm just not naturally amazing at it.

The course I'm thinking of is Theoretical Physics in Maynooth. I'm not particularly too stressed out about it. This are sort of beginning to click into place for me as well. Slowly, but surely. We just finished Matrices and that gives me a bit of confidence. Integration is a fair bit difficult but maybe because it's a newer topic, maybe I just haven't practiced it enough. Sure when we finish up the course, I'm sure it will all start coming together.

Advertisement