Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goddam cats

Options
  • 22-09-2009 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

so my bird feeders aren't even up a week and the neighbourhood cats have already taken up residence in my garden. The little fcekers hunt in pairs.

i've put a half full water bottle out at thier most popular stalking spot so I'll see if that makes any difference. Last year I wasted money on cat repellent products that didn't work e.g repellent sticks.. the cat just sniffed it a sat beside it :rolleyes:
    There were some things that did seem to work and I'll do again this year. Does anyone have anything else to add?

1. orange skins- they really don't like the smell of oranges so I put some skins on the wall where they tended to enter the garden and in the common stalking spots.
    2. Coffee grounds- as above.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Apparently they aren't too fond of pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

littlebug wrote: »

i've put a half full water bottle out at thier most popular stalking spot so I'll see if that makes any difference.

how does that have an effect??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

The reflections supposedly scare them away. Some say it works and others say it doesn't. It probably depends on the cat :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If they use a high wall to gain entry you could smear the top of the wall with old grease (local garages are a good source). It also keeps intruders out.

Overall, not an easy task!:(

The reflections supposedly scare them away. Some say it works and others say it doesn't.

It doesn't work:rolleyes: The cat didn't sit in the exact usual spot but about a foot away....
    I'll try the grease on the wall.. thanks Srameen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

This is too elaborate for most folks, but some have installed an auto water sprinker.

But......remember its there when you go out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Pump action water-pistol?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

From my newbieness in the subject, wouldn't it work just to place the feeder in a high enough place?

My neighbour has two cats that visit us too. In fairness, one of them is very fat so it takes him almost 2 seconds to gain speed.
    We have never seen the other one catching anything though. Again, it could be down to the cat.

Oh dear... 2 of my cat rant threads on the front page :o I do have a life honestly :o:o
    (maybe merge them?)

Anyway.... gzoladz my feeders are up as high as they can go. It's the ground feeders the cats are going for.
    Super-soakers on order :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I used Vapet Get Off Spray Cat and Dog Repellent Spray to keep my own cats away from stuff they shouldn't be near (they chew books) I had to stop using it they hated it so much they wouldn't go within 10 metres of anything it was sprayed on. I got it in Petmania

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Pump action water-pistol?

Thats what I use. You need to give them a few soakings before they get the message. Good out to 10 metres. Does them no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

I wasted money on cat repellent .. the cat just sniffed it a sat beside it :rolleyes:

Yes , I got some expensive stuff , a green gel paste that was meant to strongly deter cats .......

So they only loved this stuff .... the cats . I was sure there was more cats in the bush than previously . I actually brought the tube out and gave one cat a close up of the mouth of the tube . No bother to him.

What i do now , before I put out the pigeon seed ..... is to hose down the regular stalking points and bushes. The cats really dont enjoy sitting in the wet , especially if playing the waiting game .

The birds are in and out fairly quickly .

I had a beautiful albino pigeon arriving last year ,..... a real beauty

Advertisement