Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belmont O-ring substitute

Options
  • 22-09-2009 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

I cant get my hands on an O-Ring for a Belmont radiator. Any ideas what I could use as a substitute?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Forgive my iggnorence where do you need the O ring for. which part,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Forgive my iggnorence where do you need the O ring for. which part,

Its for the spindle, that turns to allow water in or out of the rad. Old style, not a thermostat.

http://www.oldfashionedbathrooms.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22

Its a pair of these radiator valves yes? So where do the O rings go?

Edit Ahh i think now I remember where the o ring goes. it goes where the stem meets the nut. You wan buy generic o rings but I am not sure if they are heat sensative enough for this application. The best thing to do would be to buy a new pair of valves from a plumbers providers IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The O rings go on the spindle. With those valves the nut is removed and, If I'm correct, you can screw the spindle out without much of a leak. If the leak is not too bad, you could take the spindle and old O rings (I think that there are 2) to your nearest hardware. If an O ring can take the heat of a boiling hot tap, it should be OK for a rad valve.
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    The O rings go on the spindle. With those valves the nut is removed and, If I'm correct, you can screw the spindle out without much of a leak. If the leak is not too bad, you could take the spindle and old O rings (I think that there are 2) to your nearest hardware. If an O ring can take the heat of a boiling hot tap, it should be OK for a rad valve.
    Jim.

+1 if its them they are washer seals and they can be got in any hardware shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Just a quick update. So I stuck a load of plumbers mate down into the spindle, where the o-ring would go and its held. So far :)

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

PTFE tape will do as well, but the more you turn on and off the valve, the more chance of a leak starting up again. If the valves are the same, You could change the on/off knob to the other end of the rad - the seals won't be as worn..
    Jim.

Advertisement