Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Piercing and tattooing

Options
  • 22-09-2009 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi,

My son and his friends don't live anywhere near a piercing/tattoo parlour and have come up with the idea of starting their own. They have already had a lot of experience and, as I have believe that there is no specific legislation regarding this, is there anything that they should be aware of before they go for it?

Thanks

Barbara

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hmm artists that work from home or do callouts are (don't cite me) normally looked down on in the industry. (I believe the term is "Scratchers").

Also I wouldn't be able to quote any legal advice on doing this!

Just to note there are strict hygiene standards that artists need a certificate in. (Health & Safety, that sort of thing). Just one of the many things to be wary of.....But I'm sure other modders will get on here who are either in the business or in the know about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

If your son and his friends are fully qualified tattoo artists and body piercers then surely they are already aware of the equipment (ie: autoclave, sink, suitable storage, sterile needles, waste disposal, tattoo guns/ink/etc) they'll need?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

They will need a years of training, practice, loads of equipment, training in Blood Bourne Pathogens, sterilization gear (Autoclave) and insane levels of insurance.

And that's just for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Alot of experience with tattoo's and piercings without not being anywhere near one, I spent a year in a piercings parlour everyday with my mate who was the piercer and I still know feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

An apprenticeship is really the only way to go, learn from someone reputable who has the experience to develop your sons talents into something great. What your son and his mates are thinking of getting into will involve a lot of trial and error with the emphasis on the error.

What do you mean by "had a lot of experience"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Kitty k

Home tattooing is never a good idea it is not safe for your son or his potential clients, there are laws that can apply to piercing and tattooing that come under general contract law ..basically it states that any individual under the age of 18 cannot enter into a "contract" to provide or recieve a service like tattooing, it can be enforced...there is a lot of money needed to open a proper studio equipment is expensive and rightly so if he has a real interest tell him to bang on doors to get an apprenticeship and draw draw draw and go about it the right way !

Sorry I just re read your post do they want to rent a premises and open a shop or work from home??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hi,

My son and his friends don't live anywhere near a piercing/tattoo parlour and have come up with the idea of starting their own. They have already had a lot of experience and, as I have believe that there is no specific legislation regarding this, is there anything that they should be aware of before they go for it?

Barbara--Youre contradicting yourself here.

Firstly you say that they "already have a lot of experience" and then youre asking is there anything that they should be aware of.

Surely if they have loads of experience then you wouldnt even need to start this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dingdong1

lawsuit/jail sentence waiting to happen. yes, there is no legislation regarding tattooing per-se, but there is consumers rights etc.. good luck to you. 'home-tattooing' does not count for experience, ever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

dingdong1 wrote: »
    lawsuit/jail sentence waiting to happen. yes, there is no legislation regarding tattooing per-se, but there is consumers rights etc.. good luck to you. 'home-tattooing' does not count for experience, ever.

Lawsuit or jail sentence for what??
    I dont recall anyone being jailed over "consumer issues"

Yes in the UK a tattoo artist can be jailed for underage tattooing and they go on the sex offenders register but over here not a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dingdong1

i would take a guess that they are not properly trained in sterilization, cross contamination, blood borne pathogens etc.. maybe you should google 'tattoo hepatitis lawsuit' to get an idea of what can happen to amatuers. :)

• Advertisement

dingdong1 wrote: »
    i would take a guess that they are not properly trained in sterilization, cross contamination, blood borne pathogens etc.. maybe you should google 'tattoo hepatitis lawsuit' to get an idea of what can happen to amatuers. :)

Thats all well and good if youre from the good old U.S of A :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fortunately for us over here US law doesnt extend this far east.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Yes in the UK a tattoo artist can be jailed for underage tattooing and they go on the sex offenders register

Sorry to go off topic but is it true about the sex offenders list? That's incredibly extreme! Jail's bad enough for underage tattooing/piercing, But being put on a list insinuating you have specifically set out to inappropriately touch a child / had inappropriate intentions towards a child. Horrific label to be branded with IMO :(

Sorry to go off topic but is it true about the sex offenders list? That's incredibly extreme! Jail's bad enough for underage tattooing/piercing, But being put on a list insinuating you have specifically set out to inappropriately touch a child / had inappropriate intentions towards a child. Horrific label to be branded with IMO :(

Quite true alright.

Thread here on the skindeep forums about it--well worth a read.
    The sooner they introduce a similar law over here the better.

http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/tattoo-talk/15891-16-year-olds-tattooed-parents-letter-5#post603097

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

My thoughts exactly. That's very messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Your highly unlikely to get insurance for a home setup and there is a piercing/tattoo shop somewhere near Westport afaik. When you say experience, do you mean he's been tattooed/piercer or he has been tattooing/piercing others under an apprenticeship? There's a HUGE difference. The last thing your son should be doing is setting up some sort of home scratcher shop. If he does I personally and hopefully others on this board will go out of my way to make people aware of the negligence and lack of respect for the industry your son is showing by doing this without any training.

Advertisement