Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing drivers on Linux Mint?

Options
  • 22-09-2009 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭

Have a Dell inspiron mini 12". Trying to download and install drivers for it. The graphics card is the first one i need because it'll make things easier to follow. It's a Intel Graphics Media 945GSE/GM965 according to dell. How do i go about installing it? I've only been using Mint for about 1 hour so aplogies for any ignorance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

best thing for any ubuntu based distro off hand, is run the system updater first,
    then go to hardware in system>pref or admin cant remember which, it should do a scan and automatically download for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

BOBBY wrote: »
    best thing for any ubuntu based distro off hand, is run the system updater first,
    then go to hardware in system>pref or admin cant remember which, it should do a scan and automatically download for you :D
    System updater didn't do anything. Clicked refresh and nothing popped up. Where is the option to scan for hardare?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Wagon wrote: »
    System updater didn't do anything. Clicked refresh and nothing popped up. Where is the option to scan for hardare?
    well it should tons of system updates to be downloaded, are you online ?

BOBBY wrote: »
    well it should tons of system updates to be downloaded, are you online ?
    Oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hold on, linux has the drivers for most devices, its not like Windows. If You can see stuff on the screen than You have a driver

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Hold on, linux has the drivers for most devices, its not like Windows. If You can see stuff on the screen than You have a driver
    I dont think so. The visuals are rubbish even when the fancy visuals are turned off so it must be working off the VGA card. It needs a seperate driver to run on Windows so it has to be the same for Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Try Hardware Drivers in Administration.

Did the system updater, it started installing all the updated and then crashed and stopped them completely. Hardware devices did nothing to detect them. Any thoughts? I'm well lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Try the Mint forums, quick search of dell mini 12 gives me this:
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=32796&p=189097&hilit=dell+mini+12#p189097

Advertisement