Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics and Ireland and stuff

Options
  • 22-09-2009 3:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

So I was reading there that there is to be more health cuts or some nonsense. and this is on top of all that NAMA money or whatever the hell that is... and apparantly there is this Lisbon treaty referendum that I have to ignore too. I normally dont read Irish news or listen in on our politics because frankly, its depressing but over the past 2 weeks I have been a bit because I felt a little bit embarrassed I didnt know what NAMA was. I prefer reading about British politics as it seems a lot more exciting and a bit more clued in to world affairs.. makes for better TV too. I don't really think the grubby little men who spout best intentions will have any real affect on the evolution of our species and how society will move forward so I just tend to treat it all like professional wrestling. Im much happier with it all being a show and just a bit of edu-tainment between the ads for the simpsons, keeps me focussed on myself.

Anyhow, with all these apparently important issues coming I decided to actually take a touch of an interest. And from what I saw its one big farce. that same party is in power, ya know the one that had all those tribunals and has a policy for backhanders and that other woman who is in charge of healthcare but is really just a big idiot that is just there to swing women voters, Harney innit? I saw her in Dunnes Corneslcourt once. unimpressive. we are giving away money or some shizzle because a bunch of bankers and stock brokers were sh1t at their job in america or whatnot and there is to be "considerable" cuts to healthcare. heck, I know a nurse who will be out of a job in 4/5 months for no reason other then she is finished her training. and I walked over a poster today that said 'Yes in the City' with a load of girls on it looking positive and important.

basically, its all a big mess.. as usual. and we dont have anyone that can fix it so we are basically going to have to keep our heads down till something magic happens. So I think, why?

from what I can see we are an ultra island nation. Britain is already an island nation and we are the island off Britain. We are the 'Emerald Isle', dropped from the heavens. We have an economy that makes us pay 5eu a pint and probably rapes more important people then myself with other various bills and taxes. Everything is basically too expensive. Our pride, our nightlife is a big farce as Dublin in reality is quite boring and full of some form of assh*les, same with Cork and Galway but to a lesser extent. they are tolerable at least. Dublin though is chock a block full of people with attitude problems. At school level we have the same hate for Britain bred into us from a young age and we cant be in the same class as girls until we hit college (yes I know not all but a lot.. relax). Homophobia is rampant. Racism is casual and everyone is trying to 1up the person beside them... I think the "ehhhh, no" joke best sums that up. heck, I havent even mentioned the goombas who walk around with "funny" t-shirts that say something inane and time wasting. All this comes from just how completely isolated we are imo.

Its a good experiment. Give an island of not a lot of people a bit of money and help them get going and see what happens. basically, we lose the money and everyone turns into a d1ck from what I can see. attitude problems here are visible in every aspect of our society. geeks are a$$holes, jocks are too, RTE makes programs like 'The Model Agent' and is watched by thousands. I mean how does that happen? "hmmmm a good night in, I'll watch Strictly Come Dancing and then flick in for The Model Agent after". I mean what train of thought leads to that conclusion and how did we get to that stage? No-one has anything better to do then give time to some muppet who interupts an awards show in what is an obvious set-up. Are we that bored or is there just that much to do?

to tl;dr this, we have a big giant attitude problem which was caused by unnatural growth in this country and our ultra-island nation not being able to process this correctly. The cult of the individual has spread like wildfire and I'm amazed we havent started sponsoring our emotions.. for instance, iRage.

thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jazzy wrote: »
    ...thoughts?

Yea, too long.
    You go from Irish politics to Strictly Come Dancing and then The Model Agent!
    O dear lord.

Switch off the tv and go out and protest about something will you.
    That would be of greater benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,357 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

thoughts?

Long paragraphs hurt my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

probably rapes more important people then myself

how many important people do you rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Dublin in reality is quite boring and full of some form of assh*les, same with Cork and Galway but to a lesser extent. they are tolerable at least. Dublin though is chock a block full of people with attitude problems.
    thoughts?

Limerick kid. Limerick. Let them try be an asshole down here and see what happens. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

thoughts?

I have some really nifty tshirts.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Long paragraphs hurt my eyes.

ginger wimmin hurt mine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

genericguy wrote: »
    how many important people do you rape?

genericguy at the sex cauldron trying to get in a casual joke about rape
    ginger wimmin hurt mine.

as Partridge would say "And Another!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I normally dont read Irish news or listen in on our politics

Ah, an informed opinion... how refreshing

cosmic wrote: »
    Ah, an informed opinion... how refreshing

its all about the opinion innit.
    Biggins wrote:
    O dear lord.

I think there is a connection

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Wow. Top notch political thinking there. You should write a thesis on it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

so there is no attitude problem?

genericguy at the sex cauldron trying to get in a casual joke about rape

as Partridge would say "And Another!!"

awh, finding someone to pick on cos your thread is shit.

awh, finding someone to pick on cos your thread is shit.

skynet by the balls

so there is no attitude problem?

I was commenting on your spectacular political and economical insight. Honestly, do you think people will show you any respect if you write such drival?

Originally Posted by Biggins
    O dear lord.
    I think there is a connection

Yep, your absolutely right.
    They are both filled with money grabbing, self delusion of grandeur ****!

See! I can say that in once sentence. Yay for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Oh it's soooooo tl;dr.

This post is sponsored by iBored.

I was commenting on your spectacular political and economical insight. Honestly, do you think people will show you any respect if you write such drival?

i have a pretty good grasp on politics. economics are a bit tougher though. I didnt think it was drival anyway, maybe urine but deffo not drival

watch yourself ger, he's on the offensive...

i have a pretty good grasp on politics.

no, you don't.

a sex offensive?

• Advertisement

I just thought he was on the drugs!
    ...and he didn't share with me! :(

no, you don't.

how do you know? I said im not interested in Irish politics. what part didnt you like?
    Biggins wrote: »
    I just thought he was on the drugs!
    ...and he didn't share with me! :(

speaking of which, I forgot to mention drugs in the op. but yeah, drugs are everywhere and are really easy to get. drugs are so popular in fact that politicians show up at funerals of idiots that OD

how do you know? I said im not interested in Irish politics. what part didnt you like?
    ]

the bit where you were born.

]

the bit where you were born.

my money is on the t-shirts bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Hopsital closures kill more than guns or bombs ever will.

In our future, history books will only consist of a chapter on builders funded the Celtic Tiger and then the housing market failed because it peaked and the econmy shutdown because the only thing we relied on failed.

The whole country is falling down around us and all we can do is sit in and watch 'reality' tv!

And then you have people like some on this with their 'opinions' wont even read long paragraphs, my god what are you to even try digest something thats not written in Ann and Barry size font and spoon fed to you in the Sun with pictures.

So help me God, I've decided that a pissing contest won't solve anything. Here's a quick break down of your post. I've commented on parts to show you where you're going wrong. I offer this as constructive criticism.
    So I was reading there that there is to be more health cuts or some nonsense. and this is on top of all that NAMA money or whatever the hell that is...

We are looking at a large bugetary deficet, meaning that expenditure needs to be reduced. I don't like cuts but it's better than having the IMF come in.

NAMA stands for the National Assets Management Agency. The state has invested a figure of (I believe) €57 billion buy buying all loans over €5 million off of banks as well as what are refered to as "bad loans". The purpose of this is to inject money into the Irish banking system so that the banks can once again loan money and thus stimulate the economy. Bankers don't get off, because the book value is aprox. €75 billion and the developers still have to pay back the loans, (otherwise the assists will be ceased.)

It's contensious because the debt incurred and the protental for returns are risky, but realistically it's a cheeper option then nationalising the banks and one of those two options are needed.

and apparantly there is this Lisbon treaty referendum that I have to ignore too.

Why ignore it?
    I normally dont read Irish news or listen in on our politics because frankly, its depressing

I appreciate that the media highlight the bad news. It's because bad news sells more papers. However, it's not something to get depressed about. If you don't understand what's going on, then how can you offer an informed opinion.
    we are giving away money or some shizzle because a bunch of bankers and stock brokers were sh1t at their job in america or whatnot

Shizzle?! The problem is that banks lost confidence in eachother and wouldn't loan eachother money. This is because a lot of dubious loans were given out to people who realistically couldn't pay it back.

The problem with the Irish market is slightly different but linked. The knock on affect of the American economy stuttering was that Irish exports fell, American companies didn't have the same financial backing and weren't investing as much money in general (but specifically into jobs in Ireland in our case) and consure confidence dipped, resulting in people spending less money.

basically, its all a big mess.. as usual. and we dont have anyone that can fix it so we are basically going to have to keep our heads down till something magic happens.

The government is trying to fix it as explained above with NAMA, gaurenteeing deposits, etc. Their economics aren't loved by everyone, (myself included) but they are doing some things right.

We have an economy that makes us pay 5eu a pint and probably rapes more important people then myself with other various bills and taxes. Everything is basically too expensive.

This is basic economics - supply and demand. Please look it up.

TBH, the rest is just a bit too ranty for me to spend any more time at it.

I hope I helped a little.

So help me God, I've decided that a pissing contest won't solve anything. Here's a quick break down of your post. I've commented on parts to show you where you're going wrong. I offer this as constructive criticism.

fair play bruh, i was tempted to do it myself but i didn't want to lend weight to him. it'd be like dawkins rowing with the pope.

pissing contests ftw though.

I dont think you 2 got it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 REAL LIFE HOOD

what a **** op. the lisbon treaty is a european issue but you are obsessed with being a little englander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

what a **** op. the lisbon treaty is a european issue but you are obsessed with being a little englander.

Weren't you banned from here before?

Advertisement