Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Backpack or Wheelie Bag for RTW - Advice needed

• 22-09-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Ok so planning to head off RTW in January. SE Asia, OZ, NZ and SA.

I've spoken to 3 friends (1 guy, 2 girls) who have done similar trips and all have recommended bringing a wheelie bag rather than a backpack. They all brought backpacks on their own trips but said they frequently wished they had a wheelie bag. Ive read the backpack megathread and a lot of people advise against wheelie bags. My friends have all said anywhere they have walked has been suitable to wheel a bag and for hikes etc they always left the bigger bags securely locked and brought their smaller daybags.

Can anyone give more info on situations/places where a wheelie bag would be a nuisance?

Its not so much for myself tbh but my girlfriend is determined to bring a wheelie bag now and I just want to make sure were making an informed decision before we buy.

These are 2 we're looking at:

North Face Long Haul 30 (I think this is too big)
    http://digg.com/u3CumS

North Face Long Haul 26
    http://digg.com/u3CumT

Mods feel free to move this to the megathread if you reckon thats the right place for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

The state of half of the footpaths or lack of them in certain parts of where you plan visiting would be the first deterrent against bringing a wheely bag for me. Also there can be times when it rains where there will be huge pools of unavoidable water that doesn't disappear quick as drainage is bad. So you'd have to wheel your bag through it and get it wet. They also tend to weigh heavier and some of the ones i've seen don't look compact as backpacks. Possibly due to the metal frame in a lot of them. So they can be hard to stow on certain buses. One thing i heard people complaining about were hills and how they got cuts on their palms from the handle. I'd never even consider a wheelie one. It's just more natural for me to throw something on my back. Feels like the weight is ditributed across a wider area of muscles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Ok so planning to head off RTW in January. SE Asia, OZ, NZ and SA.

I've spoken to 3 friends (1 guy, 2 girls) who have done similar trips and all have recommended bringing a wheelie bag rather than a backpack. They all brought backpacks on their own trips but said they frequently wished they had a wheelie bag. Ive read the backpack megathread and a lot of people advise against wheelie bags. My friends have all said anywhere they have walked has been suitable to wheel a bag and for hikes etc they always left the bigger bags securely locked and brought their smaller daybags.

Can anyone give more info on situations/places where a wheelie bag would be a nuisance?

Its not so much for myself tbh but my girlfriend is determined to bring a wheelie bag now and I just want to make sure were making an informed decision before we buy.

These are 2 we're looking at:

North Face Long Haul 30 (I think this is too big)
    http://digg.com/u3CumS

North Face Long Haul 26
    http://digg.com/u3CumT

Mods feel free to move this to the megathread if you reckon thats the right place for it.

Era, leave her go for the wheelie bag. I just did a 6 month RTW trip and while i used a backpack, i never once had to carry the thing for more than 5 mins. Being on some crappy roads in South East Asia and you could wheel your bag along there - again though, you won't be wheeling a bag for more than 5 mins.

If you go on a hike you would be leaving wheelie bag/backpack at hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Backpack everytime. Ive been to a fair few places and the last thing I would have wanted was to be lugging a case around. Get a good backpack, and straps sized correctly, also use the waist clip. This will be much much more comfortable.

And as Neamh says, alot countries have awful footpaths (or none !). Also, wheelie bags tend to be larger and will present issues if tyring to stow them away on buses or in hostel dorm lockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Has to be a rucksack. I hate all this 'if you don't do travel this way, your not a real traveler', but in this instance its half the fun. Everyone despises their rucksack, whether its a good one or not.

Honestly though, the amount of times you will have to carry your bag far will be very small. If thats what she wants, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

You can get bags now that are rucksacks come wheelie bags.

My brother got one in the Bag Shop for €50.

It looks pretty much like a rucksack - except there is no wasteline clip - but it has wheels and the handle is hidden away beneath a zip pocket.

Might be a good combination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

The state of half of the footpaths or lack of them in certain parts of where you plan visiting would be the first deterrent against bringing a wheely bag for me. Also there can be times when it rains where there will be huge pools of unavoidable water that doesn't disappear quick as drainage is bad. So you'd have to wheel your bag through it and get it wet. They also tend to weigh heavier and some of the ones i've seen don't look compact as backpacks. Possibly due to the metal frame in a lot of them. So they can be hard to stow on certain buses. One thing i heard people complaining about were hills and how they got cuts on their palms from the handle. I'd never even consider a wheelie one. It's just more natural for me to throw something on my back. Feels like the weight is ditributed across a wider area of muscles.
    This.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Never carried a backpack for more than 5 minutes? Shít i've carried mine from one side of Mexico city to the other through the subway. Not to mention trying numerous hostels in a row because some were full and then up to the reception which for some reason a lot of them insist on putting on the top floor. Glad to have it on my back then. My worst experience with luggage was dragging a case on wheels through NYC. I hated crossing the roads with it. The footpaths were huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paddykelly6

Cheers for the replies everyone. I might go with the backpack myself then and try get the other half to get a decent small sized wheelie bag. The 1st on I linked to before is the size and shape of a rucksack and at 54 litres shouldnt be too heavy for her (or me likely me) to lift for short periods.

Ive seen/heard of those bags which have both wheels and straps but have heard they aren't great as they're purely shoulder sraps and offer no support at all. I reckon it might be better to go either regular backpack or all out wheelie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I had wheelie for half my rtw, and backpack for oher half. A light backpack is best I've found. Wheelies, if heavy, can really wreck your back. I couldn't move after some days with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Being honest - having done most of South East Asia, i would definatly recommend a wheelie bag. I had a backpack and it weighed about 15kg and broke my back.. I found it so difficult to carry. The boyfriend had a backpack too which weighed about 18kg and again, really sore on his back.

Get one with straps and wheels, i know the straps arent good and aint really designed to be used but it would give you the opportunity to do both.

Think of the heat too!!!!!!!! Its roasting, so so hot having a bag on your back

In saying that - i'll probably bring my backpack to New Zealand and South America with me next month, its still new enough and the wheelies are really dear here in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Straight Flush

For me, it depends on the weight you plan to carry. Unless you're bringing something heavy like climbing equipment then just pick the backpack. When I was travelling, I was carrying 11-12kg in a backpack and that was fine. But 15kg+ and you should choose the wheelie and save your back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Cheers for the replies everyone. I might go with the backpack myself then and try get the other half to get a decent small sized wheelie bag.
    Youre gonna end up with your backpack on you, carrying her wheelie bag. Dont say you werent warned :)

A decent backbag, which distributes the weight correctly is no hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

supermouse wrote: »
    Being honest - having done most of South East Asia, i would definatly recommend a wheelie bag. I had a backpack and it weighed about 15kg and broke my back.. I found it so difficult to carry. The boyfriend had a backpack too which weighed about 18kg and again, really sore on his back.

Get one with straps and wheels, i know the straps arent good and aint really designed to be used but it would give you the opportunity to do both.

Think of the heat too!!!!!!!! Its roasting, so so hot having a bag on your back

In saying that - i'll probably bring my backpack to New Zealand and South America with me next month, its still new enough and the wheelies are really dear here in Australia.
    Ah supermouse I feel bad now! Didn't you get a 60L in the end? How can it possibly weigh 15kg?! Really, I think the max I'd carry in a backpack would be 12kg. After that, it would be a wheeled suitcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Hey Breadmonkey - long time no posting :)

Sacred heart of god i got the shock of my life when i lifted it on my back!

I had planned on being so good with the weight but i actually found my washbag one of the heaviest things.

In saying that, i was the coolest chick with the only pink backpack in South East Asia - cant complain about that right?!

Hitting New Zealand and South America soon, but i am packing 5kg ONLY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Just back from a 3 week trip to India. I used a 40L backpack, weighed about 7kg when I was going, 8kg on the way home. I don't think I'll ever go back to a larger backpack.

I was in S.E. Asia last summer and washing is so cheap that you don't need to bring every t-shirt you own. Costs you about €1 for pretty much all your clothes.

If you are planning on getting trains DO NOT BRING A WHEELIE. Especially if it's a big one cuz you're gonna have to carry it up and down flights of stairs to change platforms.

I think the wheelie backpacks are silly too. You add an extra 2kg to the bag by adding the wheels and the handle and all that.

I always recommend reading the how to pack section on this website: http://www.travelindependent.info/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maggie.B

Hi all,

I've read alot of posts about whether to go for wheels or backpack when travelling southeast asia. After talking to a few people aswell, I've decided and backpack with wheels is teh best option. You can wheel it and if it rains you can have the option of carrying it (though for a short period of time).

The advice I need is what backpack with wheels is the best option. So far its been very difficult to find a good one from makers like berghaus, northface etc.

Can anyone recommend one they have used them selves ??

Thanks for any help ye can give :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Notice that most of the people recommending wheelie bags went with backpacks and believe wheelie bags to be better. I've tried both, and I would say it depends.

If you're sticking to capital cities only and first world countries, a wheelie bag is good. It's a hell of a lot better in airports and on well-designed streets. Fact is though, if you're going to be in the country-side or in poorer countries, you're going to end up either carrying it or dragging it. The usual thing is that you limit where you go because you have a wheelie bag.

If you don't mind that, go for it, make sure you get a good one that will last the whole way. If not, get a backpack.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

maggie.B wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've read alot of posts about whether to go for wheels or backpack when travelling southeast asia. After talking to a few people aswell, I've decided and backpack with wheels is teh best option. You can wheel it and if it rains you can have the option of carrying it (though for a short period of time).

The advice I need is what backpack with wheels is the best option. So far its been very difficult to find a good one from makers like berghaus, northface etc.

Can anyone recommend one they have used them selves ??

Thanks for any help ye can give :)

Can't remember the brand of mine but it fell apart after a few Asian footpaths so no point recommending it anyway.
    Just make sure of one thing - that it had waist straps. Mine didn't and so I could never really use it as a backpack, even for short walks. It was lovely as a rollalong but a really awkward backpack. Backpacks usually have back support and nice straps across the front. Try to get a rollalong that has those, but I've never seen one.

I did a 15 month rtw, and had backpack for exactly half, rollalong for the 2nd half. If I was doing it again I would go with backpack, but max 30 Litres. I was so jealous of the lightpackers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maggie.B

Ya i found one that has wheelies but its pretty pricey though, 150 euro. I was told those shops down abbey street and Mary street in dublin do good offers on bags so I may have a luck.

Your right about bringing hardly anything tho. I made my list of what to bring and had barely any clothes but then all the gagets I was bringing just seemed to add up to quite a list. Before I go I plan to have a good walk around town with the bag to hit home how heavy carrying the stuff could be.

Cheers for the advice!

Advertisement