Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Mk IV Clutch problem

Options
  • 22-09-2009 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭

Lads

Can anyone tell me what are the signs that the clutch is going? I've noticed that car is revving very high and losing power when I am going through the gears. It seems to only happen just after starting the car.

Thanks

Mick
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

High biting point.

Accelerate hard in a high gear and you will know if its slipping (ie high revs + not much go)

There is a test, I think it goes something along the lines of putting the handbrake on and letting out the clutch slowly - the car should stall quickly if the clutch is good. Research this yourself though and try at you own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Clutch in, select 4th, clutch out slowly.
    Car pulls away -> Clutch slipping
    Car stalls -> clutch probably OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

tried the above and car moved. How much would I be looking at to get the clutch replaced?

What a pain in the hole :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've a brand new clutch in my Passat and I can get the car moving in 4th gear too.

What made it obvious to me was the car was shuddering when engaging 1st or Reverse gears. This got worse over time. Then one day I was driving down the road in 3rd gear and I tried to accelerate but the revs went up and the car didn't accelerate much.

I would keep driving it until you really really need a new clutch.

It might cost you 200 for the clutch and a few hours labour. Maybe even a flywheel too? I didn't bother with my fly wheel. It looked okay when I was doing the clutch change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

Well thats not too bad. I was thinking it might cost nearer a grand. It would break my heart to put that sort of money into a 00 Golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Ring around a few garages, you'd be talkng around €400 odd fitted
    Or there abouts.

Advertisement