Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU funding a massive intelligence plan to monitor public for "abnormal behavior"

Options
  • 22-09-2009 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I came across this chilling article in the Sunday Telegraph, Information can also be found on one of the official websites so I would not exactly regard it as conspiracy. :)

The EU is spending tens of millions tax payers euros on an intelligence system known as “Project Indect,” which would draw from multiple data sources, namely public surveillance cameras, data storage, internet search robots, etc in order to detect “threats” and recognize “abnormal behavior” across the whole continent.

The Indect research, which began this year, comes as the EU is pressing ahead with an expansion of its role in fighting crime, terrorism and managing migration, increasing its budget in these areas by 13.5% to nearly £900 million

According to the project’s Web site, once completed, Project Indect would even be able to track vehicles as a type of support network for EU police officers.

Perhaps the most chilling, the project promises “continuous monitoring” of “web sites, discussion forums, usenet groups, file servers, p2p networks [and] individual computer systems”. :eek:

The project’s critics are making an increasingly common obvious literary reference, calling Indect “Orwellian” in nature.

But Indect is just one cornerstone of what EU officials are calling Europe’s “justice agenda,” the achievement of which would see European police agencies sharing information on suspects and cooperating on arrest warrants

EU FP7 project Indect site he provided the story seemed to be quite convincing.

The main objective will be the “automatic detection of threats and abnormal behavior or violence”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6210255/EU-funding-Orwellian-artificial-intelligence-plan-to-monitor-public-for-abnormal-behaviour.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Looks like you'll just have to stop acting abnormally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

that's after hours fcuked then:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Bubye Winters :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Viva La Revoultion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

The best way to deal with this situation is to send out bizarre and confusing information to clog up the system.

BRIAN COWEN HAS A GREAT ASS! TERRORISM! INFIDEL! BOMB! Jose Manuel Barroso ate my dog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I have an abnormally large c0ck will it detect that?

irlmarc wrote: »

Its not configured for lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should make a gameshow of it, "Euro-abnormality of The Week". I might win something for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

irlmarc wrote: »
    Yes when you have to swipe your Euro ID card to purchase extra large size rubbers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Another reason to vote no in the upcomming election... They could have kept this quiet until after the election like most governments do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

So I can't plot my attacks on Strasbourg and Brussels here then?

I dunno. Truth be told, all it'll take is some moron with a match to 'justify' a whole load of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I came across this chilling article in the Sunday Telegraph, Information can also be found on one of the official websites so I would not exactly regard it as conspiracy. :)

Meh, the EU just wants their own version of what Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States have been doing for years.

Project Echelon Link : Echelon Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You mean.... it may be able to help.... fight crime?

:eek:

We must destroy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Meh, the EU just wants their own version of what Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States have been doing for years.

Project Echelon Link : Echelon Wiki

Spycatcher is a good book actually which deals with the founding of many of these networks and trying to find a mole in the early days of MI5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

You mean.... it may be able to help.... fight crime?

:eek:

We must destroy it!

Fcuking recession. Now even Batman will be out of a job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

as soon as I saw this thread title, I knew it had to be Run_to_da_hills

Fighting crime and preventing terrorism? Down with that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Dave! wrote: »

Hey bro!
    Your lack of interest in this subject, yet your need to post a blasé comment such as this makes you super cool. I really want to be like you.

Keep up the good work bro! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Dave! wrote: »

Falling asleep in AH. Hope you enjoy having "Penus" written in permanent marker on your forehead.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Its not configured for lies.

you're having a very good day, mein fuhrer. :D

• Advertisement

genericguy wrote: »
    you're having a very good day, mein fuhrer. :D

A day that will last for a thousand year reich!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The Indect research, which began this year, comes as the EU is pressing ahead with an expansion of its role in fighting crime, terrorism and managing migration, increasing its budget in these areas by 13.5% to nearly £900 million

[/url]

I can't think of a better way to spend 900 million pounds, with so many people being turfed out of their homes onto the streets??
    "Oh wait, maybe they could clean a lake or something, yeah?" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I can't think of a better way to spend 900 million pounds, with so many people being turfed out of their homes onto the streets??
    "Oh wait, maybe they could clean a lake or something, yeah?" :rolleyes:

900 million pounds sounds like a big number but if you think about it for a second it means the EU is spending less than €2 per person on fighting crime, terrorism and managing migration. In the grand scheme of things, it's buttons.

Also that's after the increase of 13.5% so it was previously €793 million i.e. around €1.60 per person anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

****ing surveillance society. before it used to be just England that were into this sort of thing

**** this I'm moving to Antarctica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

Pity there is no mention of an Irish rollout anywhere on that website.

I guess they think we have voted no to Lisbon already!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Perhaps the most chilling, the project promises “continuous monitoring” of “web sites, discussion forums, usenet groups, file servers, p2p networks [and] individual computer systems”. :eek:

ha fools, me and my terrorist buddys still like to send letters.....

I think this image sums up the title of the thread. :D

http://i35.tinypic.com/1zz4yn8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

So basically the EU are saving all our contacts? Thats really handy if you lose your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I came across this chilling article in the Sunday Telegraph
    Was wondering why this wasn't in the CT forum :P

• Advertisement

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    So basically the EU are saving all our contacts? Thats really handy if you lose your phone.
    Never looked at it that way :D

Just contact the EU commission if your laptop gets stolen and they will have all the data backed up for you. :p

Advertisement