Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avoid Testing In Ennis?

Options
  • 22-09-2009 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I have been speaking with no less than 11 people so far who originally took their tests in Ennis, failed, and took the second test at other locations and passed with flying colours.

Has anyone else experienced this?

In one case just two weeks ago a friend of mine failed in Ennis, but scheduled a second test two days after the first one in Limerick (cancellation spot) and the instructor there said she was one of 'the best and most confident drivers he had seen in a while (exact quote)'.

I have had two certified driving instructors here in Ennis tell me the same thing. They say there is one man in Ennis, <snip>, and he fails EVERYONE on their first go, sometimes their second as well, no matter how well you do. The instructors in town here actually tell you if you do take the test in Ennis, you WILL FAIL the first time, no matter what, because of the tester there.

I think thats a pretty bold statement when the instructors in the area tell you not to take the test in Ennis if you want to pass.

I took the test, and failed with only six marks - six grade 2's - four of them in one area - clutch. I have been driving for 20+ years, with five of those years in Ireland with a US license. Perfect driving record - no accidents or tickets. The tester claimed I was riding the clutch (coasting) when I know for a fact I was not. I do leave my foot on the clutch, but that is because I'm 6'2" and driving a 1.3 ltr car and there is no room for me to put my big feet anywhere else down there - the floorboard is moulded and unless I hike my leg up on the curved moulding then I can't put my foot anywhere else.

That being said, he made numerous references to my American nationality, in a very offensive manner. I knew before when even left to go to the car park that he didn't like me, the first thing out of his mouth when I arrived was 'oh, you're American?' I replied yes, he then asked if I had ever driven in America, I replied for over 20 years. He then responded, and I quote 'well, your in Ireland now, and I'm Irish'. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but it was said in a very offensive tone, like 'your no longer in kansas boy'. Whatever he meant it was very off putting and I took offense to it. There was no light hearted laugh or anything to make me even suspect maybe it was a poor attempt at humor.

Later during the test he told me I need to slow down and speak english, more clearly. After that during the part of the test where you back up around a corner and 'turn around in the road' I asked him to explain to me if he wanted me to a three point stop or a U turn. He replied 'do you not understand me? Can you not understand what I am saying to you?'. I replied I can understand you fine sir, I just need to know if by turn around in the road do you mean three point turn or U turn. He thenwas like in a louder frustrated voice 'just TURN AROUND in the ROAD'. I then just did a U turn and he was like 'see, thats all I wanted'.

The whole test was like this. Like I killed his dog or had slapped his mother or something. Every time I asked for clarification he acted like it was the end of the world and reiterated he thought I didn't speak english.

At one point I actually just apologised, in a good will effort to try and stem the hostility, I said to him that I had to ask for clarification on some things because of the difference in nomenclature. He said 'the difference in WHAT?' I said, you know the way we speak, the use of certain words and terminology'. He was like 'please just drive'.

I left the whole test feeling a bit robbed, that I was being graded on a different scale. The fact I failed due to what he claimed, I was coasting, when I was not, and with the added fact that during the test there was an obvious air of hostility leaves me feeling not only was I not going to pass from the start, that this man has some issue with Americans.

I contacted the RSA and told them exactly what I posted here. I guess I'll wait and see what happens next.

In the meantime, I'm finding more and more people who have horror stories about the same man in Ennis.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

If everyone takes it twice, that puts the rate at 50%. A few people (10%) get it on the first go, maybe because they get the other tester who does Ennis from time to time, thereby accounting for the 10.5% difference.

Then again, who is to say the numbers they post are accurate? Look at the HSE - they have been fudging the numbers for years on cases across the board. It all depends on how creative they want to get with statistics. Judging by the current economic crisis, It's safe to say many government offices have been creative with their statistics for quite some time. I'm not saying they are, just saying if it were to come out I don't think anyone would be all that surprised.
    You do know that you're only allowed to drive on a US licence in Ireland for up to one year?

Thats not entirely true. You are only allowed to drive for one year from the day you arrive. If you leave the country and come back a few week later you get a new visa stamp. The one year period is from one year based on the last stamp on your visa. If you go to court, the judge will look at the last visa stamp. I have been back and forth here and there - my stamps are up to date and I have plenty of valid time left on my license.
    Before posting more "horror stories" about an identified driving instructor, you might want to read the charter of this forum.

I'm not saying anything bad, nor am I making baseless allegations - I am telling you my experience. I have sent the same information to the RSA, and plan to follow this through to the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Sorry to be sticking my oar in but apparently the problem of 'overly harsh' (sorry it's the most dimplomatic phrase i can come up with) testers is a problem with all centres.

Everyone i've talk to, instructors, 'students' and full licence holders alike, has made reference to the fact that every centre has at least one tester who will fail people unreasonably. Unfortunately it appears to be a part of doing your test - if you get unlucky on you date and get one of said testers it'll go against you no matter how good you are!

I'll probably be band for this because i'm sure something is anti the charter, but hopefully you'll feel a little less hard done by. A lot of people get shafted by this 'system' and until there is some form of 'proper' and consistent assessment for testers it's likely to continue (unfortunately!)

Advertisement