Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They Need To Put Up Some Rope Barriers!!!

Options
  • 22-09-2009 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭

I was watching the news at 9 this evening and it seems that so far this year two older Americans have died while climbing up the steps to Skellig Michael, a 75 year old about 5 months ago and just yesterday a 57 year old. The daughter of the 75 year old killed a few months ago rang into Liveline in disbelief that another person had died and how rope barriers and other safety elements needed to be put into place to prevent it happening again.

Does this p*ss anyone else off? It's the site of a monastery and as a result is very very remote. It's not easy to access and I believe you have to arrange your own transport to it. Seeing as you can't easily access it you SHOULD know what you are potentially getting yourself into.

Why is it that it's only Americans who had a tragic accident there and no-one else? Apparently Skellig Michael is very well preserved due to it's remoteness. While I'm sorry anyone has died and it's tragic for their families because of these two numpties a major review into safety is going to be carried out. What will be the outcome? Will it be off limits, will they destroy the place with signs and barriers etc?

Ack I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to say but what the hell were these people thinking. It's off the beaten track, in the Atlantic Ocean, built into a steep rocky island and was a place of retreat. If your loved ones go there and something bad happens........... live with the fuppin consequences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skellig_Michael

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0921/skelligmichael.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

two older Americans have died.

It's not the lack of barriers that are the problem. Monks never had a problem with it. Only people who've had barriers around them all their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yeah i hear the Americans want velvet ropes lined the whole way up Everest, seemingly more than one person has died climbing up there as well:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

12 boats deliver 150 people a day between them in high season btw.
    There are four full time OPW workers based on the island then too (they sleep there).
    Heard it from a boatman on the radio today .

Just to clear that bit up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

two down, only 270 million to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Yes it is bad news that two people die but just because they have died should they put up any barrier? IMO no, if your not fit and able to walk or climb up a mountain you should stay away from it regardless of age or weight or whatever, your just going to end up in trouble or dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I was watching the news at 9 this evening and it seems that so far this year two older Americans have died while climbing up the steps to Skellig Michael, a 75 year old about 5 months ago and just yesterday a 57 year old. The daughter of the 75 year old killed a few months ago rang into Liveline I believe in disbelief that another person had died and how rope barriers and other safety elements needed to be put into place to prevent it happening again.

Why is it that it's only Americans who had a tragic accident there and no-one else? Apparently Skellig Michael is very well preserved due to it's remoteness. While I'm sorry anyone has died and it's tragic for their families because of these two numpties a major review into safety is going to be carried out. What will be the outcome? Will it be off limits, will they destroy the place with signs and barriers etc?

Ack I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to say
    You're trying to say Americans are stoooopid but are too polite?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Absolutely agree with the OP. When are we going to have to put steps and a handrail up everest. Its like saying they should ban all moving vehicals from the roads as I stood out in front of one and it hurt when i got hit. Tuff titty you knew what you were getting yourself in for when you went.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

give them the option of some kind of helmets maybe? like you wear when mountain climbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

RIP

They do have a sign that points out it is quite dangerous to climb. Its likely that people under estimate the diificulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Kiera wrote: »
    You're trying to say Americans are stoooopid but are too polite?

No no not at all but it is a little odd that the only people to die there in recent times were American. Please don't take this thread as being anti-American.

It's more of a common sense rant I guess. It's a dangerous place, off the beaten track so it can hardly be surprising that someone would die eventually. If you don't think it's safe, then don't climb it but don't insist that it be changed to meet your perceived needs when your needs are to climb a big feck off rock in the middle of the Ocean.

If something happens to you or loved ones then accept the consequences. You chose to climb it without a railing or whatever else.

They should have thought of all these safety features when they built it imo :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

No no not at all but it is a little odd that the only people to die there in recent times were American. Please don't take this thread as being anti-American.

It's more of a common sense query I guess. It's a dangerous place, off the beaten track so it can hardly be surprising that someone would die eventually. If you don't think it's safe, then don't climb it.
    I was kidding, it was my way of saying it actually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Natural Selection at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,160 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

it depends, did people actually fall off the edge like lemmings or was it a simple freak accident slip where the person fell a few feet and knocked their head, which could have happened anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

genericguy wrote: »
    two down, only 270 million to go...

Trust me my friend, Genocide is hard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Why not introduce compulsory high vis vets, helmets, gloves, protective knee wear and boot . :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Why is it that it's only Americans who had a tragic accident there and no-one else? Will it be off limits, will they destroy the place with signs and barriers etc?

Probably just put a Burger King at the top.
    That'll get them up those steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

From the wiki;
    The monastery on Skellig Michael survived a number of Viking raids in the 9th century

I can understand how it got the better of some tourists.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I dont think they can put rails and barriers up because its a UNESCO world heritage site and the steps are part of it.

Anyway you have to expect its going to be dangerous anyway. In my book you sign up for that when you step off the boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Rocketpacks ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Surely common sense should prevail , if you're not fully able bodied you shouldn't attempt to climb up the steps .

I have visited tourist sites in various countries and unless there is a gentle path up to them there are signs telling you not to try if you aren't fit enough .

I don't think there should be any rope barriers / hand rails added to the site just because some people are too stubborn to realise they aren't able to make the journey . Adding rope barriers / hand rails would destroy the site which has survived untouched for 600 years !!

Most 75 year old Americans are too frail / lazy to go up a set of stairs without a starlift , what posessed one to try and climb a set of steps carved into a rock face ? Yes it is a tragic accident , but come on , he shouldn't have been there in the first place .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

R0ot wrote: »
    Get the **** out with that nonsense. This wasn't some idiot baiting alligators or believing god will prevent them getting mauled by lions, it was two older people who underestimated a risk and paid the price. Not every accidental death is some sort of Darwinian triumph.

EDIT: It might be worth adding that a 57-year-old woman is pretty unlikely to reproduce.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Get the **** out with that nonsense. This wasn't some idiot baiting alligators or believing god will prevent them getting mauled by lions, it was two older people who underestimated a risk and paid the price. Not every accidental death is some sort of Darwinian triumph.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,160 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

a chair lift should be installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

iregk wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with the OP. When are we going to have to put steps and a handrail up everest.

Only if Everest was being marketed as a tourist attraction and people were being charged to visit it.
    It's more of a common sense rant I guess. It's a dangerous place, off the beaten track so it can hardly be surprising that someone would die eventually. If you don't think it's safe, then don't climb it but don't insist that it be changed to meet your perceived needs when your needs are to climb a big feck off rock in the middle of the Ocean.

it is common sense to us, but most tourists don't have any common sense when it comes to this sort of thing. if they see an advert for a day trip to a nice quaint island somewhere, then they should be able to expect it to be relatively safe. The issue should be how is this place being marketed and what are tourists being told.

Do the boat owners tell them it is not safe or suitable for elderly people, before they take their money off them, or just grab the cash and dump them on an island?

I don't for a minute suggest they should carve the place up and make it idiot proof, but there should be ample warnings in place, a bit like a roller coaster ride, do not enter if you are old, infirm, pregnant, suffer from heart conditions or are American:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

R0ot wrote: »

For natural selection to be a factor, they have to die before they breed.

Since the lady in question was 75, and not only had children but obviously had grandchildren, and was well past child-bearing age, it is too late for natural selection to be a factor.

Fail to you, sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I think, if people are dying from falling, they should put ropes up. People here are giving out about ropes being put up but what difference will it make to your life? None - only if the ropes save someone you know.. then you'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I think, if people are dying from falling, they should put ropes up. People here are giving out about ropes being put up but what difference will it make to your life? None - only if the ropes save someone you know.. then you'll be happy.

Because its a UNESCO world heritage site, one of only 2 we have. Why would we deface it by sticking ropes up? Ideally people should not be allowed on the island and there is talk of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sure they'll only trip over the rope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement