Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fm 104 talking negative about mma, what to do?

Options
  • 21-09-2009 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

talking complete crap as usual, stereotyping like mad and going on about the cage non stop! Cage rage there calling it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Please please please. Nobody listen to this or attempt to ring in to this absolute travesty of a show.

The more people listen the more their listenership goes up, the more it'll still be on annoying the **** out of everyone in Dublin. How in the name of sweet fvck is this still on the air? Who actually listens to it, or the fvckin 98fm toll trolls for that matter.

Travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Barry got me thinking about this with his post,
    it suits fm 104 to get people angry as that's when they are more likely to listen to this stereotypical tripe, the people they put on to defend it where going on about teeth flying all over the place etc..

2 things we can do,
    1 just ignore this sort of stuff and talk with your feet, let them lose you as a customer on all there programs and switch to another channel, same applies for any of these sensationalist stations..

The 2nd is to mail them and say your going to change station due to there tactics of running down the sport thats tried so hard to be respected and added in rules to make it a real sport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

That radio show is totally the wrong forum to attempt to educate and inform people about things. It's their MO is to play on peoples prejudices and ill thought out opinions. It is pretty much moron baiting .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

An online petition stating that the signed will not listen to the radio station, and advise others not to do so until it stops airing lazy and inaccurate sensationalist pieces. From boards alone and the other mma/martial arts forums/sites it would get a lot of signatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

Best ignored I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

similar to cowperp, i'd think the best option would be to send them the exact same mail from multiple people, just saying that the show is being unbiased to the sport, unfair to those who are promoting the sport in the right way and that you all feel you'd never ever get a fair chance to explain yourselves over radio....possibly because of the importance of visual examples/explanations?
    *just an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Why bother doing anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    Why bother doing anything?

very true. No matter what twats like this say or do the sport is moving forward.

Young people today are growing up with MMA and the UFC so the issue will die as time goes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

Jason Mc wrote: »
    very true. No matter what twats like this say or do the sport is moving forward.

Young people today are growing up with MMA and the UFC so the issue will die as time goes on

yep quickly becoming a major challeneger to US mainstream sports such as baseball, basketball and football. not long b4 that will happen over here too so no point in responding to this. could create more negative views than there already is at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

The last time MMA was discussed on Irish radio it was a complete joke, the gen pop had'nt a clue and the so called expert, dowling was worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dowling, as in Brendan Dowling?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

As in Mick Dowling , the former boxer I think. Wasnt that the Joe Duffy show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Yeah it was the mick and joe show that day, any crank in ireland was allowed to tell lies and exagerrate whatever made up point they were trying to get across while i remember one girl that rang in made a tiny mistake and Joe jumped all over like an overweight middle aged lion with an annoying voice, while letting his usual shower of deranged biddies talk whatever nonsense they wanted.

Was truly embaressing to be irish during that show as they actively encouraged people to tell lies and not make them back it up, one caller claimed 10 people had died in the ufc last year and when wayne mcullough called on him to give a website were this was recorded.....what did the hysterical clown say "its on UFC.com"....WTF.

"Hi caller whats your point?"

"YEah joe i heard a guy ripped his own arm off in a ufc fight last year then stoved the other lads head in with it."

"Jaysus thats desperate"

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Yeah it was the mick and joe show that day, any crank in ireland was allowed to tell lies and exagerrate whatever made up point they were trying to get across while i remember one girl that rang in made a tiny mistake and Joe jumped all over like an overweight middle aged lion with an annoying voice, while letting his usual shower of deranged biddies talk whatever nonsense they wanted.

Was truly embaressing to be irish during that show as they actively encouraged people to tell lies and not make them back it up, one caller claimed 10 people had died in the ufc last year and when wayne mcullough called on him to give a website were this was recorded.....what did the hysterical clown say "its on UFC.com"....WTF.

"Hi caller whats your point?"

"YEah joe i heard a guy ripped his own arm off in a ufc fight last year then stoved the other lads head in with it."

"Jaysus thats desperate"

:D thats how i remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

While i was disappointed in Bernard Dunne being defeated in such a devastating way last night I just wonder how many of the concerned people who complained about mma will ring the Joe Duffy show on monday calling for boxing to be banned,for sure if an mma fighter had have been dropped like bernard was with the 1st left hook whether it be a ref from a local Irish show or Big john the fight would have been stopped (Dana moment) "and im a big boxing fan"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

martic wrote: »
    While i was disappointed in Bernard Dunne being defeated in such a devastating way last night I just wonder how many of the concerned people who complained about mma will ring the Joe Duffy show on monday calling for boxing to be banned,for sure if an mma fighter had have been dropped like bernard was with the 1st left hook whether it be a ref from a local Irish show or Big john the fight would have been stopped (Dana moment) "and im a big boxing fan"

It didnt take place in a CAGE :eek: so it is grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LOL at people getting up in arms over an FM104 phone in show. The fact that anyone with an iota of intelligence would even tune in appalls me.

martic wrote: »

That's BS and you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

T-K-O wrote: »
    That's BS and you know it.

No it's not bull****. You get dropped in an MMA fight like Dunne was then it is fight over.

There is a difference between being dropped like Dunne was and being dropped but at the same time being able to defend yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

If Dunne had been knocked down like that in an MMA fight it would have been over because he didn't have his wits about him for a few seconds and wouldn't have been able to defend himself

• Advertisement

Is that right, ask Michael Bisping if the fight is immediately stopped :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Is that right, ask Michael Bisping if the fight is immediately stopped :rolleyes:
    How exactly do you stop a fighter from hitting someone when their already mid air:confused:
    And the fight was immediatly stopped, Hendo just got the punch(forearm) in fast.Its not like the ref stood there letting Hendo tee off on him for an 8 count:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Is that right, ask Michael Bisping if the fight is immediately stopped

:rolleyes:

That was the most recent example. We are comparing apples and oranges here.

Dunne got back up after the first and got his jab working again until he was caught with another shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No point in having a debate if that's what you are throwing into the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Oh for crying out loud if your IQ is greater than 45 then please stop discussing this absolute travesty of a show. Lock this thread before it looks like anyone in Dublin cares about this half wit and his quarter wit "callers".

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

If anything Dunnes knockout was further proof to me that the MMA way is indeed much safer. Look at how little was on the punches that forced the 2nd two knockdowns....and that was lucky for dunne.

It was already over after the first knockdown regardless of dunne jabbing. The rest was just unnecessary IMO. Strangely I would have not said the same thing even 3 or 4 years ago as I have always (and still am) a huge fan of boxing and Thai/K-1. MMA has softened me up a bit if anything.

Anyway I'm just musing rather than anything else both sports carry their risks.

This has turned into a lame attempt to prove MMA is safer than boxing. Dunne was O.K after the first KD, after the second the faculties were out the window and the game was up.

In boxing, it was made illegal a long time ago to hit the guy when he was stunned and getting back to his feet. The count is there for a reason.

I'm also a huge MMA fan but we do see on a regular basis guys taking shots when the fight is clearly over.

Just recently Nate Marquart was called a great guy for not following up with more shots on Mia - why ? Becuase that was the exception and not the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

As far as this topic is concerned Boxing and MMA are on the same side as the people who want MMA Bnned have been trying to ban Boxing forever and still actively try to ban it now..

Fighting has its risks, people have the choice wheter to fight and also wheter to watch, safety precautions are there for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

Just recently Nate Marquart was called a great guy for not following up with more shots on Mia - why ? Becuase that was the exception and not the rule.

and cause hes a tank... :pac:

Advertisement