Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360..Where to buy? New or 2nd hand? Prices to expect?

Options
  • 21-09-2009 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all :D

Thinking of buying my first xbox...My bro has 1 so i usually just play his but the time has come to buy my own! Just wondering what is the best way to go about it..

A new, fully working, garuntee(sp:rolleyes:) included one? Or take a chance with a cheap second hand job?

Any past experiences or general knowledge would be a great help! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Buy new, i got a second hand 360 from gamestop, it died within half an hour...

Plus there's the new jasper model 360s which claim to be less likely to die than old models...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 _red_6_

How much would that set me back? And is the elite worth the money for 120GB?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Yes the elite is worth it cause you can install your games onto the hard drive and you an download loads of demos

i would recommend the resident evil 5 limited edition in smyths for 259.99 and you get a copy of RE5 with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

_red_6_ wrote: »
    How much would that set me back? And is the elite worth the money for 120GB?:cool:

Personally I would say it's not worth getting the Elite. Only difference is the colour and the bigger harddrive and for me the increase from 60 to 120 gigs isn't all that big a deal, it's still not enough to use as somewhere to dump all your files etc. for watching on the XBox.

Hmm...yeah I'm thinkin along the lines of amacachi....I wouldnt be a 24/7 kinda gamer so I dont think I'd bother spending that much on 60 extra GB...! I was down in xtravision today and there's an offer there : xbox (not arcade..the other white 1) and controller,1month live card, headset etc... for 250 i think...any better offers people know of around wicklow/dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Red xbox360 elite limited edition(jasper chipset)
    Red xbox 360 control
    1 month xbox live
    Black Headset
    All necessary cables
    Resident evil 5

E259.99 in smyths

Oh...touche... :p

Well I think that settles that then..! You wouldn't happen to know how long that offer is gonna be running for? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

amacachi wrote: »
    Personally I would say it's not worth getting the Elite. Only difference is the colour and the bigger harddrive and for me the increase from 60 to 120 gigs isn't all that big a deal, it's still not enough to use as somewhere to dump all your files etc. for watching on the XBox.

Do the non-Elite's have the new Jasper chipset? That's why you get an elite.

consultech wrote: »

Anybody care to explain what a Jasper chipset is?:p

Yes, all the consoles have the Jasper, it's hardly "new" any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

_red_6_ wrote: »
    Anybody care to explain what a Jasper chipset is?:p

Jasper is the codename for the latest build of the 360. It's meant to have a less chance of getting the three red lights than the older consoles.

If you could wait, I'd get the Modern Warfare bundle in November.

creggy wrote: »
    Jasper is the codename for the latest build of the 360. It's meant to have a less chance of getting the three red lights than the older consoles.

If you could wait, I'd get the Modern Warfare bundle in November.

Yeah I could easily wait for that seeing as I wont have the money untill then anyway! Any dates/info/prices on that bundle?:D

Thanks for all the help so far! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

xbox+360+modern+warfare_0.jpg

Everything seen here plus a 250gb HDD.

November 10th for 330 quid.

Yes, all the consoles have the Jasper, it's hardly "new" any more.

Name a newer 360 chipset...

Name a newer 360 chipset...

:rolleyes: It's the current chipset and has been out for a year at this stage. All the consoles in shops now have it, so I really, really ****ing fail to see why you brought it up as a reason to buy an elite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

:rolleyes: It's the current chipset and has been out for a year at this stage. All the consoles in shops now have it, so I really, really ****ing fail to see why you brought it up as a reason to buy an elite.

this guy is correct!:D

Thanks everyone! Your comments have been a great help! Think il get a 60Gb pro:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I picked up an Elite in HMV on Friday for €240 with a choice of 2 games from Halo 3, Fable 2 (the two I picked) Quantum of Solace and a few other multiplatform games. Came with headset and controller, but no live subscription or HDMI cable. They had the same elite for I think €250 and you could then pick up Batman Arkham Asylum for a tenner with it. They had one other offer too but I can't remember what it was exactly.

Still no xbox... My dads goin up north on friday...any deals up there for about ...£200?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

So even the arcades are jaspers now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

picked up an elite from harvey norms today for 178e, special offer for first 10customers....needless to say the queue was pretty big by 8am. The voucher also entitled the person to an additional controller and any game for 60euro.....so all in for 238e....not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I bought a pre-owned 60 gig xbox two weeks ago and already I'm receiving one red light for "hardware failure". I am very angry and wish I bought a playstation instead. Had I known about the high failure rates I wouldn't have bought one in the first place!

I put 20 hours into Oblivion the last two weeks and now I can't play it until after it's repaired! :mad:

Valmont wrote: »
    I bought a pre-owned 60 gig xbox two weeks ago and already I'm receiving one red light for "hardware failure". I am very angry and wish I bought a playstation instead. Had I known about the high failure rates I wouldn't have bought one in the first place!

I put 20 hours into Oblivion the last two weeks and now I can't play it until after it's repaired! :mad:

Dont have much sympathy unfortunately. Buying 2nd hand xboxes with any kind of genuine expectation for longevity is a mug's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Dont have much sympathy unfortunately. Buying 2nd hand xboxes with any kind of genuine expectation for longevity is a mug's game.

I expected it to last longer than two weeks! Is expecting longevity for a console too much to ask? My PS2 is still up and running as is my SNES. I wisely purchased the gamecare deal so even if the whole console has to be replaced, I won't have to pay an extra penny.

Advertisement