Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandymount - Nice place to live?

Options
  • 21-09-2009 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

Looking to move soon, would anyone recommend this area?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

How old are ya?

Sandymount's a nice area, close to town, etc. Only minor downside is the pubs, etc in Sandymount can be fairly dead, but you're so close to Ballsbridge, Donnybrook and town itself that's not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm from Sandymount, grew up here and still live here and absolutely love it! It's a really nice area, right beside town, you have the DART, bus service, gyms, beach, lovely village, 3 good pubs in the village to suit your needs...cheap taxi to and from town on nights out, can walk to ballsbridge, Donnybrook etc...

Can't think of anything it's missing really (it's got all the pro's of the burbs without the cons of anti-social, plus the con's of the burbs are off set by its proximety to town)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

It's as dull as ditchwater and smells of sh1t. O'Reilly's (I think that's the name) is a good pub but has been dead lately-4 people in there at 11pm a few Saturdays ago. Finding a taxi at night, even in these times, is difficult. The only pizza delivery is 4-Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

A nice place although i do agree with the last poster there can be a brutal smell out around there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well if you'd like to live in an area where you won't get kept awake at night by noise but it's still walking distance from town, Sandymount's a good option. I absolutely love the place (used to live next to it in Ringsend) - it's so picturesque. There's even a slight country village feel to it, which is really cool seeing as it's less than 40 minutes' walk from Trinity College. :)

Gorgeous restaurants/cafés if that's your thing - the pubs I wouldn't be bothered about since town is so close.

I like the way it's not bland suburbia also, and it's in Dublin 4 but it's not "D4". Probably a bit posh in places but I never got a snooty vibe there like you'd get in Ballsbridge. Overall, it seems fairly down-to-earth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

latenia wrote: »
    It's as dull as ditchwater and smells of sh1t. O'Reilly's (I think that's the name) is a good pub but has been dead lately-4 people in there at 11pm a few Saturdays ago. Finding a taxi at night, even in these times, is difficult. The only pizza delivery is 4-Star.

Dominos deliver here, sure I'm putting Mr. Dominos kids through college for feck sake!!

Plus the chipper here won best chipper in Ireland at one stage (at some point in the last 6 or 7 years) ... there can be a smell sometimes, but it's very rare and never more than one evening...you might experience that 4 or 5 times a year and it lasts a day, hardly a reason to not live in the place!

I am completely bias, but think for amenities and location etc., it's probably the best (or at least top 5) in Dublin.

One thing I will say though is the Tesco is pretty sh*t. But there's a massive and probably the best Tesco I've ever been in 2 mins up the road in Merrion shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

Sandymount is supposed to be a nice enough area.

It's pretty safe anyway, and I know everyone is saying it's dead, but I used to live out in Dun Laoghaire and I have to say that everywhere but the city or your own student pub is dead usually.

The good thing about sandymount is the dart! It'll take you right into the city in 15 mins! yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Looking to move soon, would anyone recommend this area?

Simple answer: Move there.

Great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

It is a really nice place.There is a great community there.It is safe and close to town.There are also great sporting facilities there.Overall it's a nice place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'd second that chipper recommendation.

And second the dead vibe of the place, though the smell can be bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭donaghs

The smell is probably a result of the sewage treatment plant in Poolbeg near Ringsend. But its a small price to pay for being so close to the see. The sea front is very popular with walkers and joggers, and the fact that you'll see them out there up till 10pm gives you an indication of how safe the area is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

latenia wrote: »

Hang the fcuk on!

Four Star rock, but there's Dominos and Godfathers.

Also fairly sure a couple of the posh pizza delivery plcaes in Rathmines/Ranelagh deliver to Sandymount anyway.

The taxi thing is a bit misleading, nowhere in Sandymount;s more than five or ten minutes from the Merrion Road and that always has taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

[Jackass] wrote: »
    3 good pubs in the village to suit your needs...

I was born and reared in Sandymount and only ever remember two pubs - O'Reillys and Sandymount House. Is the third relatively new?

Advertisement