Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas heating boiler servicing

Options
  • 21-09-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Does anyone know of any reputable gas boiler service agents in the Dublin 15 area that won't rip you off like the Bord Gais servicing costs? The boiler is a Mynute 14se.
    I also have a funny noise from one of the valves attached to the hot tank that may need to be looked at. Both still seem to be working perfectly at the moment though. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

itsgottago wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any reputable gas boiler service agents in the Dublin 15 area that won't rip you off like the Bord Gais servicing costs? The boiler is a Mynute 14se.
    I also have a funny noise from one of the valves attached to the hot tank that may need to be looked at. Both still seem to be working perfectly at the moment though. Thanks

Whats wrong with Board gais prices? Out of curiosity? I was quoted 130 but a plumber and got a price of 110 on the board gais web site should it be cheaper?

http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/htm/residential/4_appliance_servicing/index.htm

Level one would be sufficent for a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

I charge €90 for a gas service which includes vat and the RGI cert.
    I do think Bord Gais charge a premium just because they can. They have a huge advantage over us "normal" heating engineers as they have direct access to all the natural gas consumers in Ireland.
    I am open to correction, but as far as I know the Bord Gais service applies to the boiler only. My service will include asking the customer if they have any problems with the system, bleeding rads, balancing etc. I allow an hour for each service for the €90 and I will advise the customer before I do any extra work of the charges involved - If any!!
    I know the Bord Gais engineers are mostly sub-contractors and so are under pressure to get a certain number of calls done per day, so I cannot really fault them - just the system.
    And just in case anyone thinks I am looking for the service job for the OP.... I am not! I live in North Wicklow and do not cover D15. BTW a Mynute 14se is a very easy boiler to service.

Just a relevant point I want to make re boiler servicing:

I called to a house to give a quote to the customer for a replacement boiler and controls. In the course of my visit I discovered that the pressure vessel on the boiler was faulty. Not a major problem considering the customer was thinking about changing the boiler. The problem was that it had been "serviced" a week or so previously by a "reputable" RGI registered company. They did nothing about the pressure vessel problem and did not do a safety check on the boiler, which it would have failed because of the pressure vessel problem, and worst of all did not tell the customer it was unsafe to use.
    The customer has since reported them to the RGII and the incident is under investigation.
    The point I am making is if you get a gas appliance serviced, repaired or replaced you MUST be issued with a "Declaration of Conformance" cert on completion. If you do not get this do not pay until you do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

MiniGolf wrote: »
    I charge €90 for a gas service which includes vat and the RGI cert.
    !!

Would you be willing to travel to drogheda?

Whats wrong with Board gais prices? Out of curiosity?.

€800:eek: to fit 2 pcb's to a Chaffoteaux BrittonyII system boiler, Bord Gais can't be trusted with there pricing, I'm sad to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 itsgottago

Bord Gais prices look very expensive for what should take an engineer no more than 30 or 40 minutes. For level 1 servicing it would cost €105. Can't believe in this economic climate that people are still getting away with charging those prices. I am sure there are lots of qualified engineers willing to do it for a lot less. Even Minigolf's price sounds more reasonable (but still expensive) but you would seem to get more value for your money - fair play to you. You are right (MiniGolf), they are charging these prices because they get away with it and most people might believe that they are their only option. This might be simplifying it too much but if you took an average of €100 a job and the engineer gets a minimum of 5 jobs a day = €500 a day. Say they work 220 days a year = €110,000 pa - a lot of money even being a little conservative. Would anyone agree? Thanks

• Advertisement

On paper it may seem like gas engineers are coining it in, but for myself i don't earn anything like that:( and if my wife sees your calculations she will think i have a fancy woman:D

Would you be willing to travel to drogheda?
    Sorry Joey for the delay in replying. Just home and had my dinner.......nice and busy!!
    I'm afraid Drogheda is a bit out of my area. :D

itsgottago wrote: »
    This might be simplifying it too much but if you took an average of €100 a job and the engineer gets a minimum of 5 jobs a day = €500 a day. Say they work 220 days a year = €110,000 pa - a lot of money even being a little conservative. Would anyone agree? Thanks

In an ideal world this might be the case but the chances of getting 5 calls done every day for the 220 days are quite slim! You also have to take into consideration the expenses of running their business (assuming they are self employed!) including insurance, transport etc. etc.

I am definetly not defending them, just tempering the debate with a little balance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭tomo75

Hi Minigolf, I have PM'ed you. Cheerss!

Advertisement