Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False jobs advertised on gumtree

Options
  • 21-09-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I just thought I'd post a thread up here asking if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I saw a job advertising for a receptionist in Dublin, it didn't state much, other than send a CV and they were looking for an experienced receptionist. In hindsight I should have been more wary, however, I fired off a quick e-mail stating I was interested and attached my CV. I didn't hear anything for a few weeks until today, basically my e-mail was sent to someone else and they stated the job was no longer available but would I like to be a secret shopper. This really irked me because I doubt the original job existed and I don't like having my details bandied about so I was just wondering if anyone else had this experience and if not, I would warn others to be careful of these emails and don't make the same mistake as I did. If the advert has little or no information, I would suggest e-mailing them for more information before sending your CV to them. If you hear nothing, well at least your information is safe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Another poster suggested (on this section of Boards) make a complaint on www.asai.ie about false advertising. I made a complaint about a certain company and their advertising of a certain job. The ad got taken down very quickly!!! I don't know if the company in question just get a stern talking to or if they get fined or what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Thanks for that, I did complain to gumtree and in fairness got a speedy response but unfortunately I did not have the ad reference number, only the date I applied for the job and the advert title, so at the moment there is little they can do, but even if they do, that person or someone similar can set up another advert with a different e-mail account.

The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland would have more power than Gumtree so I would think it is better to complain to in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

mood wrote: »
    The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland would have more power than Gumtree so I would think it is better to complain to in the future.

Do they really though?

Most of these regulator bodies are total scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Do they really though?

Most of these regulator bodies are total scams.

Not really, their decisions are not legally binding so advertisers can just ignore them.
    Have a look at the decisions bulletin on their website and pay particular attention to the responses from Ryanair (there aren't many!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I did that three jobs i applied to got emails telling me no such address to send to :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Re: Online Recruitment.

First point to remember about these agencies is that their priority is profit, not the jobseeker or the company. It's work almost entirely based on commission so obviously they will go to great length to maximise their return. What you have outlined above is widespread in the industry, and can essentially be described as CV harvesting. Anyone applying for jobs which are advertised generically as "Operators Wanted" or "Receptionist Vacancies" should be very careful in deciding whether to send their details to apply. More often than not these are phantom jobs with the sole purpose of collecting CV's in order to increase their client base and boost revenue. Despite the fact that they have no permission to forward your CV to another party they will do it anyway, the more potential applicants they have the higher the likelihood they can earn. Personally I detest recruitment agencies. The Euro is God regardless of what they claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Another poster suggested (on this section of Boards) make a complaint on www.asai.ie about false advertising.

ASAI don't regulate sites like gumtree, buyandsell etc..

Well, I made a complaint about a recruitment agency advertising a job that didn't exist on ta well know jobs website and it was taken down very quickly.

Well, I made a complaint about a recruitment agency advertising a job that didn't exist on ta well know jobs website and it was taken down very quickly.

I'd say that was just a coincidence. Sorry...

• Advertisement

Maybe but the ad was up for 2-3 months and taken down 2 days after I send in complaint!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wouldn't bother looking for jobs on gumtree tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I got my current job on gumtree :)

I am bothering looking for jobs on Gumtree and every where else because I'm unemployed. I can't afford to miss out on anything. I'm sure anyone who is serious about finding work is doing the same.

I am bothering looking for jobs on Gumtree and every where else because I'm unemployed. I can't afford to miss out on anything. I'm sure anyone who is serious about finding work is doing the same.

If you live in Dublin, Cafe Java in Donnybrook are looking for waiting staff and a supervisor. Saw the signs in their window today.

Advertisement