Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chem for the LC as a mature student?

Options
  • 21-09-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Ok so I want to do a DIT course or a Trinity course which both require a science subject one of them requires chemistry...i never did a science subject at school do you guys think its possible to do it and pass if i start now????
    :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Is chemistry the only subject you will be doing in the leaving? What grade do you require? If you require an OD3 then yes you can do it. And where are you planning to do the mandatory experiments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Are you doing the leaving cert in 2010??
    You'd be in a better position to do science if you were 2011er, but even if you are in doing it next June, I'd say it would still be possible to pass it; I'd advise you to get a textbook now and familiarise yourself with the basic concepts, then start working through the exam papers, check the marking schemes to make sure your on the right track and are getting all the relevant information, and then learn off the answers.
    Look about getting into a chemistry as soon as possible. There are a lot of calculations (especially in honours) that you may need help with, and also there's the experiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aquaceri

Hi there,

I need to get HC3 in Chemistry for the course I want. Its a very competitive course to get into even as a mature student. I have no experience of any science subject. It would be the only subject I would be sitting simply because I need the subject not points or anything else. I did my LC in 1998 so its a long time since being in school. I don't know where I would do mandatory experiments.

I am also working and studying for a qualification in neuromuscular and physical therapy which finishes in August 2010.

I am not sure if I would be better off waiting until 2011 LC....

Its a tough decision for me to make :(

aquaceri wrote: »

qualification in neuromuscular and physical therapy which finishes in August 2010.

so does that mean those exams are in August and not May? Because if you could focus on leaving cert chemistry for march april may rather than your course this would be very good.

Leeson street have started offering the mandatory experiments starting shortly. Think they do an experiment every saturday. €500 ish for the lot I think. Probably wouldn't suit you because let's face it ...at the moment you may as well be looking into a field of thistles as a titration :D

Still there is hope. NUI Maynooth run some experiments in January for about 3,000 leaving cert students over one week. Places fill up really quick though.

I say have a crack at getting your HC3 this year anyway, and if you don't get it this year you will definitely get it next year.

About 5% of leaving cert chemistry students are inspected by the department for properly written up lab books so if you want to take the chance that you won't be inspected that's up to you...but don't say I said so :D

pathway33 wrote: »
    so does that mean those exams are in August and not May? Because if you could focus on leaving cert chemistry for march april may rather than your course this would be very good.

Leeson street have started offering the mandatory experiments starting shortly. Think they do an experiment every saturday. €500 ish for the lot I think. Probably wouldn't suit you because let's face it ...at the moment you may as well be looking into a field of thistles as a titration :D

Still there is hope. NUI Maynooth run some experiments in January for about 3,000 leaving cert students over one week. Places fill up really quick though.

I say have a crack at getting your HC3 this year anyway, and if you don't get it this year you will definitely get it next year.

About 5% of leaving cert chemistry students are inspected by the department for properly written up lab books so if you want to take the chance that you won't be inspected that's up to you...but don't say I said so :D

LOL thanks pathway33 I had heard that alright but knowing my luck I would end up being in that 5%, I actually went to Leeson street for my original LC year so I might give them a buzz, I was looking at Kilroys college Chem program for LC too but I think I will get my hands on a Chem book over the weekend and see if I can make any sense of it! your right though no harm in going for it this year and if not try again next year it would also show the college my determination and dedication to the course! (I hope)

• Advertisement

sorry pathway33 I totally forgot to answer your question, I have exams at Christmas for my sports massage certificate and then more exams end of July start of August...so yes I could concentrate on chem for April and May anyway.

have you been to www.education.ie and www.examinations.ie where the chemistry syllabus and teachers guide resides as well as past papers and the ever helpful marking schemes?

Also check out the chief examiners report (if one exists for chemistry) on www.examinations.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm only a starting 5th year so my experience with chemistry isn't exactly vast.

I'm not sure but if you're only doing one subject (chemistry) then I'd imagine it'd be possible to complete it in a year but with a good deal of hard work. Would it not be possible because you can focus all your attention on it?

Also, is it not possible to start the chemistry course now, and if you find you're going too slowly and won't finish before the 2010 exams, don't apply for them and do the 2011 exams? I don't know when the application deadline for leaving certs is though...

jumpguy wrote: »
    I don't know when the application deadline for leaving certs is though...

January 2010 I think for external students. Application online through www.examinations.ie

pathway33 wrote: »
    have you been to www.education.ie and www.examinations.ie where the chemistry syllabus and teachers guide resides as well as past papers and the ever helpful marking schemes?

Also check out the chief examiners report (if one exists for chemistry) on www.examinations.ie

Just had a look at them, the syllabus is laid out very well and will be a great tool for self directed learning if I choose to go it alone! There doesn't seem to be too many experiments.....Thanks a million for those links...I can also register as an external candidate there. great help cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

aquaceri wrote: »
    Just had a look at them, the syllabus is laid out very well and will be a great tool for self directed learning if I choose to go it alone! There doesn't seem to be too many experiments.....Thanks a million for those links...I can also register as an external candidate there. great help cheers!

Ye there is 28 mandatory experiments in chemistry. You need to have them just because there is a good few questions based on them in the written paper.And then if you are in the 5% that could be asked to hand up their book with them written up.Even if you just learn the experiments off so you can do them in the written paper then hopefully you wont be in that 5% and you could get by without actually doing them.

Advertisement