Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't set time on new Seiko

Options
  • 21-09-2009 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Got a new seiko the other day, I like it, however you can't set the time on it which is pretty annoying. When you pull out the crown to set the time the second hand continues to sweep, so I was thinking hey I guess I'll just have to let it wind down and start it up when it's at the correct time but you can't hand wind it, so unless I'm mistaken the most correct time you can get on it is let it wind down and give it a good shake a few seconds before it's at the correct time ? I'll give this a go but I would imagine it will be a few seconds out.

Pretty daft all in all, why have a second hand that will always be wrong ?

I'd consider this a fail on seiko's behalf

SKZ251K1.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sounds like a non hacking mechanical movement where the second hand doesn't stop when you pull out the crown. Easy peasy on quartz to do, not as easy with mechanicals. I dunno about the modern stuff, but in the vintage stuff the hacking movements were the rarer(extra complication involved to stop the movement). So maybe its the same with many modern mechanical/auto movements?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭builder22

Might not be that obvious but with my Seiko the crown can be pulled out to two different points. First one (second hand keeps moving) and allows you to adjust the date. But when you pull it out further this stops everything (including the second hand) and i adjust the time that way.

Maybe i've got the wrong end of the stick but thought i'd mention it.

Advertisement