Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanderson's Droichead Nua

Options
  • 21-09-2009 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

G'Day
    I am looking for any information on a company called Sanderson's Droichead Nua Co Kildare. I think they have been or are a manufacturer of cutlery and hand tools but not sure. As I am in Australia it is very differcult finding out any info on this company. Thank You
    Dáithi
    www.recordhandplanes.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Please excuse the non Irish for getting involved here but a simple google of Droichead Nua gave the expect answer Newbridge. Next leap of faith is is joining the words Newbridge and Cutlery with the obvious answer Newbridge Silver. This link gives a hint that there is a Sheffield connection and perhaps might explain the saw? Hopefully someone else can explain the Irish name for Newbridge as the wikipedia article seems to suggest it has only been used since 1930, but again that might help date the saw.

Annoying thing is that I'd place Sandersons as a small 19th Centry SHEFFIELD saw maker?

Edit> The plot thickens check this link for the mention of a company called Sanderson's in New Bridge

Still looking..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I did a quick search the other day and the name appeared in the DAIL report from the 30's( I may be wrong on the date). It just mentioned them in passing, I'll try and find the link today.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Seems they made files as well:

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/S/0044/S.0044.195505040005.html

Must keep an eye out for their stuff at flea markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

I will ask a few peple in newbridge for you, to see do they remember anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

Yes, there was a company called sandersons in newbridge. They were in business around the 1950's. Then they moved away. They would have been some way joined to the cutley. They made knives, blades, files and things like that. There is still some men in newbridge who are in the 70's who worked in sandersons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 EugenesDIYDen

They made "Kurrakut" hacksaw blades. I came across some in a toolbox that belonged to my grandfather.

Advertisement